Minn. city gets first Somali cop
Cop's mission was to get an education and send money back to his family, which had fled war-torn Somalia
ST. PAUL, Minn. — Garaad Sahal graduates today from the academy and hits the street on Saturday.
Garaad Sahal's father scraped up all of his savings in 2001 and sent the eleventh of his 12 children away from Kenya, bound for America.
"Make sure you do not mess up when you go to the United States," his father said to him.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Minn. city gets first Somali cop
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- 10 ways law enforcement ruined me as a woman