Ex-Ga. cop pleads not guilty to homicide charge
By Rachel Brown
The Dalton Daily Citizen
VARNELL, Ga. — James Smith, the former Varnell police officer who authorities say crashed his patrol car into a newspaper carrier’s vehicle last March, killing the carrier, pleaded not guilty to first degree vehicular homicide and reckless driving on Thursday.
Smith and his attorney, Ralph Hinman, declined comment after a brief appearance before Judge Cindy Morris at the Whitfield County Courthouse. Smith is scheduled for trial March 11.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: Ex-Ga. cop pleads not guilty to homicide charge
- Patrol Issues
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Sheriff: Suspect opened fire on Texas deputy’s children, home in 'attack'
- After HOA demands pro-cop flag taken down, family shows support for LE in a different way
- 50 to 60 teens swarm Calif. train, rob weekend riders
- Video: SC motorcycle pursuit ends in fatal wreck
- Del. trooper killed, suspect barricaded in house