W.Va superintendent warns of trooper shortage
Superintendent says lack of minority officers is part of greater recruiting problem tied to funding
By Dave Boucher
Charleston Daily Mail
West Virginia — Among the 698 troopers with the West Virginia State Police, there are 12 black men and one black woman.
Col. Jay Smithers, State Police superintendent, said he understands the agency needs to recruit more minority officers.
Copyright © 2013 LexisNexis, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.
Full story: W.Va superintendent warns of trooper shortage
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- DC cops' body cams won't be on while they monitor inauguration demonstrators
- Slain Fla. officer's cuffs used to arrest suspect
- Pa. cop sues Wal-Mart over termination for carrying gun on duty
- Pa. troopers union criticizes plan to scrap lie-detector tests for recruits
- Details emerge in shooting of Ariz. trooper by driver he sought to help