Video: Veteran cop suspended for 'ignoring' fight
Superintendent of New Orleans PD took action after watching the viral video
By PoliceOne Staff
NEW ORLEANS — A veteran New Orleans police officer was suspended without pay Wednesday when a viral video showed the officer appearing to stand by as two women attacked each other.
Cortez Hankton, a 28-year veteran, was suspended for neglect of duty for the incident, according to WWLTV.
A man joins the fight at one point in the video, and punches the woman in pink in the face twice. Officer Hankton acknowledges the man and pushes him away several times, with what looks like little force.
“I've lost confidence at this time in his ability to perform the duties necessary to protect the people of New Orleans and to protect fellow officers,” said Ronal Serpas, superintendent of the NOPD.
“No one, no one, can watch this two-plus minute film and believe that Officer Hankton did all that he could, including all he could do physically, to stop two citizens from pummeling one another.”
Hankton’s attorney, Raymond Burkart III, argued that Hankton and another officer were outnumbered and awaiting back-up, and that Hankton was keeping an eye on the other officer, who was engaged with two men off-camera, according to the report.
Recommended for you
Join the discussion
PoliceOne top 5
- Okla. chief defends cop after TASER threat sparks controversy, video released
- 2 words that should never appear in your police report
- UK police: 19 dead, roughly 50 injured after explosion at Ariana Grande concert
- NYPD: Train worker refused to open gate for cop pursuing shoplifter
- Officer makes history as NYPD's first female counter-sniper