Durham Police Department - Durham, North Carolina
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $33,000.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $37,000.00 annual
- $34,320.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $57,720.00 annual
The Durham Police Department, North Carolina is recruiting Police Officer applicants. Please visit our website at www.durhampolice.com for complete details about our upcoming police academies, open house information sessions, benefits, requirements, and other important information. You may speak with a recruiter by calling 919-560-4575 (x29162 for Officer Shackleford, or x29164 for Officer Fountain). The Durham Police Department recruits on a continuous basis, and applications are always welcome. We hold two Basic Law Enforcement Training (BLET) academies each year, in February and August.
We offer full salary during the Academy with uniforms/books provided. DOL/VA apprenticeships are available. The Durham Police Department is a CALEA-accredited agency with a competitive starting salary, regular salary increases, education and language incentives, and job stability. We are known for providing excellent training, both in the academy and throughout police careers. There are many opportunities for promotion, career advancement and assignment to specialized units (i.e., K-9 or motorcycle). The Uniform Patrol schedule has a 7-day break every month and secondary employment offers a chance to earn extra money. The City of Durham has rich and varied benefits, including health, dental, a pension (increasingly rare), and 5 percent into police officer 401(k) whether officers contribute or not. The City of Durham regularly ranks near the top in national listings of best places to live. Durham is within 2 hours of both beaches and mountains. We have great colleges/universities (i.e., Duke, NCCU, Durham Technical Community College), are famous for our excellent food, have many natural areas and parks, lots of entertainment options, and some of the most exciting sports in the country, all at affordable prices. Here is a chance to serve the community while enjoying a career that offers leadership development and promotional opportunities--plus plenty of time off to enjoy all that Durham has to offer. Durham is a culturally diverse community and the Durham Police Department welcomes all applicants!
- Age: : Age 21 within 30 days after academy grad
- Education: : Completion of high school or equivalency (some college preferred) – Transcripts required
- Experience: : Not Required
REQUIREMENTS TO BECOME AN OFFICER INCLUDE:
- Must meet vision, hearing, and other physical requirements
- No felony convictions
- No serious misdemeanor convictions in the past five years
- No Domestic Violence convictions//No DUI, DWI convictions in the past five years
- Valid driver’s license required: No suspension of driving privileges in the past 3 years and no more than 2 convictions of moving violations in the past 3 years, 3 convictions of moving violations in the past 5 years or 4 convictions of moving violations in the past 7 years.
- Meet credit requirements (14 points or less) – Equifax Credit Information Service 1-800-685-1111
- Pass an entry level written examination and physical test
- Pass an extensive background investigation, credit check, criminal history check, and post-conditional-offer drug screen, psychological examination, medical examination and polygraph examination
- U.S. Citizenship
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!