DE Department of Correction - Dover, Delaware
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $103.89 annual
- Top Pay:
- $138.52 annual
James T. Vaughn Correctional Center
NOTE: YOU MUST APPLY ONLINE AT www.delawarestatejobs.com
Essential functions are fundamental, core functions common to all positions in the class series and are not intended to be an exhaustive list of all job duties for any one position in the class. Since class specifications are descriptive and not restrictive, incumbents can complete job duties of similar kind not specifically listed here.
- Directs facility operations including overall management and administration of staff, offenders, equipment, and property of the correctional facility.
- Plans, directs, coordinates and monitors the security operations of an institution ensuring polices, procedures, rules, and regulations are enforced.
- Identifies and resolves institutional staff, program and/or operational problems consistent with departmental policy and procedures.
- Receives and resolves employee grievances and complaints following departmental and institutional policies and procedures.
- Regularly inspects facility for compliance with security and health procedures, regulations and requirements.
- Interacts with a variety of agencies such as Probation and Parole, Courts, law enforcement, other correctional institutions, as well as inmates, public officials, visitors, media, family members of inmates, lawyers and legislators to resolve issues, modify or implement service programs.
- Prepares and/or administers the budget.
- Interprets applicable laws, policies, rules, regulations and operating procedures for employees and inmates; prepares directives on policies and operating procedures.
- Supervises the preparation, development, and maintenance of official records and reports.
- Investigates accidents, deaths and contraband seizures; collects and preserves evidence.
- Responds to all disturbances and emergencies and takes immediate action to maintain order and avert crises, disturbances and riots at the facility.
- Oversees the conduct of scheduled and unscheduled inspections of each duty shift to determine the security status of facility and overall effectiveness of programs.
- Serves on departmental committees in various capacities.
Additional Posting Information
Conditions of Hire
Criminal background check: A satisfactory criminal background check is required as a condition of hire. The recruiting agency may require the applicant to pay for the criminal background check as part of the conditional offer of hire.
Pre-employment Drug Testing: Upon a conditional offer, you must undergo pre-employment drug testing as part of the hiring process.
The application and supplemental questionnaire are evaluated based upon a rating of your education, training and experience as they relate to the job requirements of the position. It is essential that you provide complete and accurate information on your application and the supplemental questionnaire to include dates of employment, job title and job duties. For education and training, list name of educational provider, training course titles and summary of course content. Narrative information supplied in response to the questions must be supported by the information supplied on the application including your employment, education and training history as it relates to the job requirements.
Once you have submitted your application on-line, all future correspondence related to your application will be sent via email. Please keep your contact information current. You may also view all correspondence sent to you by the State of Delaware in the “My Applications” tab at www.delawarestatejobs.com.
- Age: NA
- Education: See Job Requirements
- Experience: See Job Requirements
JOB REQUIREMENTS for Warden V Applicants must have education, training and/or experience demonstrating competence in each of the following areas:
- Three years experience in correctional administration which includes planning, directing, coordinating and monitoring security operations, administrative functions and institutional programs; establishes program objectives; plans short and long range program goals; develops, implements and enforces program policies, procedures, rules and regulations; provides advice to other agency organizational units through consultation.
- Three years experience in representing an organization at interagency functions, community groups and legislative forums.
- Three years experience in budget administration which includes managing, developing, analyzing and implementing budgets; developing strategic plans and establishing internal control.
- Three years experience in operations management which includes planning, directing, coordinating, controlling and evaluating operations typically through subordinate supervisors.