Lateral, Academy Attendee or Graduate Police Officers
San Jose Police Department - San Jose, California
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $95,894.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $152,415.00 annual
The San Jose Police Department (SJPD) is now hiring lateral and academy enrollee/graduate police officers. The Department is a dynamic, progressive and professional organization dedicated to maintaining community partnerships which promote a high quality of life for the City of San Jose, the tenth largest city in the nation. SJPD employs over 800 police officers in four Bureaus and offers more than 50 specialized assignments.
The Lateral position is someone with police/peace officer experience within the State of California. An Academy Attendee is someone who is currently attending a California P.O.S.T. Basic Academy while an Academy Graduate is someone who has successfully completed a California POST Basic Academy within the last six (6) months. Any Academy Graduate who submits an application beyond six (6) months of their graduation date will have their application reviewed by the current Recruiting Unit Supervisor. Upon review, an Academy Graduate will be required to attend the San Jose Police Academy.
The San Jose Police Department does not accept out-of-state lateral police officer transfers or federal law enforcement transfers who have completed the California P.O.S.T .Basic Course Waiver. However, all law enforcement officers wishing to transfer from out-of-state or from a federal law enforcement agency must apply as police recruit applicant and then attend the San Jose Police Academy.
Salary and Benefits:
- Annual base pay range for Police Officer of $95,894.00 to $152.415.00** (**7 annual steps – effective 7/20/19. Pay is negotiable based on law enforcement experience)
- Domestic partnership benefits
- Paid vacation and paid sick-time accrual
- Annual uniform allowance of $675
- Four-day work-week; 10-hour shifts
- Bilingual pay + 2.5%
- Overtime and Secondary Employment assignments
- Medical / Dental plans
- Retirement Plan: Visit The Offices of Retirement Services for additional information: https://www.sjretirement.com/
- Age: 21
- Education: U.S. High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: See job description above for experience requirements
You must meet the following qualifications:
- Currently employed as a California Police/Peace Officer with a CA Basic P.O.S.T. certificate and has completed a patrol field training program OR
- Possess a California P.O.S.T. Academy graduation certificate within the last SIX months OR
- Currently, an attendee at a California P.O.S.T. Basic Academy who successfully completes the academy consecutively at the time of its designated graduation date.
- Must be 21 years old and not older than age 70
- Must possess a valid California driver's license
- Must possess a U.S. high school diploma or general education diploma (GED)
- Must have completed at least 60 semester college credits or 90 quarter college credits from an accredited college or university (credits from a CA P.O.S.T. Academy apply).
- Must possess U.S. Citizenship or permanent resident alien who has applied for citizenship
- Must have at least 20/40 uncorrected vision
Apply today at: https://www.sjpd.org/JoinSJPDBlue/PoliceLateralApplication.asp