Experienced Police Officers for Modified Academy
Austin Police Department - Austin, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $59,268.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $96,222.00 annual
We're currently hiring for our 2019 Modified Academy - a shortened version of our Regular Academy which we offer to candidates with active law enforcement experience. Police officer candidates applying for the Modified Academy should have at least 3 years of active experience as a licensed police officer at a municipal, county or state law enforcement agency. See the minimum qualifications below and visit our website for more information about pay, benefits, and what it's like working as a police officer in Austin, Texas. Apply online at www.APDRecruiting.org.
Some of our benefits include:
- Opportunities for promotions
- Excellent retirement system
- Incentive pay for qualifying officers: Bilingual Pay ($175/month); Mental Health Officer Pay ($175/month); Field Training Officer Pay ($175/month); Education Incentive Pay - Associate's degree or 60 hours college credit ($100/month), Bachelor's degree ($220/month), Master's degree ($300/month); Certificate Pay ($50-$150/month depending on TCOLE Certificate level); Shift Differential for evening or night shifts ($300/month); Longevity Pay ($107 per year of service, up to a maximum of 25 years); Cell Phone Allowance for specialized units ($16.16 biweekly); Court Overtime
- Variety of options for affordable medical coverage
- Vacation, sick, exceptional, Military, wellness, and emergency leave
- Rotating shifts
- Uniforms and equipment provided by the Department, including firearms
- Annual pay increases as outlined in our Meet and Confer Agreement
- Paid training - cadets earn a salary while attending the academy
- At least 20.5 and no more than 45 years of age at time of application
- Must have a valid driver's license
- Must possess a high school diploma or GED
- Must be a U.S. citizen (by birth or naturalized)
- Must read, write, and speak English
Additionally, candidates for the Modified Academy must meet the following qualifications:
- Must be actively employed with at least 3 years of active service as a licensed police officer for a municipal, county, and/or state law enforcement agency
- School or university law enforcement and Military police do not qualify for the Modified Academy.
- Must hold a current peace officer license from the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE). Out of state applicants without a TCOLE license must obtain their license at least two weeks prior to the start of the police academy by following TCOLE established guidelines (see below).
- All out of state applicants being considered for a Modified Academy must complete the TCOLE Out of State Application process in conjunction with our own hiring process. Please note that our minimum qualification standards for years of service and type of agency are more stringent than that of TCOLE. You must meet our minimum qualifications and complete the TCOLE Out of State Application process to qualify for the Austin Police Department Modified Academy. Please contact TCOLE at (512) 936-7700 to find out more information about what is required for their application. If you find that you are not eligible for the TCOLE Out of State Application process, then unfortunately you are not eligible for the Austin Police Department Modified Academy. You can, however, apply for our Regular Academy. All out of state applicants applying for the Modified Academy must complete the entire TCOLE Out of State Application process, including passing the state licensing examination, at least two weeks prior to starting the Modified Academy. Visit the TCOLE Out of State Process page for more information: https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/out-state-peace-officers
- Age: 20.5 - 45
- Education: High school diploma or GED
- Experience: 3 years active law enforcement experience
In order to submit your application, you will be required to attach a PDF copy of an Experian Credit Report.
o Your credit report must be dated within 30 days of your application. Failure to do this correctly may result in your disqualification from the hiring process.