Police Officer Testing
City of Harrisonburg - Harrisonburg, Virginia
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $37,419.00 annual
City of Harrisonburg Police Officer Testing Please note the following important information for individuals interested in employment as a Police Officer with the Harrisonburg Police Department.
The City of Harrisonburg will be offering Police Officer testing on ++Saturday, January 12, 2019 at the Harrisonburg Police Department.++
Registration Process: Registration is required for testing and can be completed online by selecting "apply" in the upper right corner of this posting. All registration applications must be received at the City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Department no later than 5:00pm on Friday, January 4, 2019. Registrations received late will not be accepted. After your registration has been received, you will receive an email notification instructing you to login to your application and confirm your attendance for the testing date. Applicants who do not confirm their attendance for the testing date by 12:00noon on Thursday, January 10, 2019 will not be allowed entry to the testing facility on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
Applicants currently certified as a Law Enforcement Officer through the Virginia Department of Criminal Justice Services (DCJS), the Federal Government or another state are exempt from the written test. Certified officers will receive further communication from Sgt. Daniel Claxton regarding the time of their scheduled physical ability test on Saturday, January 12, 2019. Bring your current Law Enforcement Officer credentials to check-in.
Veterans and minorities are encouraged to apply.
All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, national origin, disability or veteran status.
The City of Harrisonburg is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
The following provides information on the testing process.
Testing is scheduled for Saturday, January 12, 2019: ** Written Test**
- The written test will be given at the Harrisonburg Police Department located at 101 N. Main Street, 2nd Floor, Harrisonburg, VA.
- Check-in for testing begins at 800 hours.
- Please bring a picture ID for proper identification (Ex: Driver's License, passport, etc.).
- The testing will begin promptly at 830 hours.
- It will take approximately 2 1/2 hours to complete.
- No one will be admitted to the test after the starting time.
** Physical Ability Test**
- The test will be given on Saturday, January 12, 2019 at the National Guard Armory located at 340 S. Willow St, Harrisonburg, VA.
- Candidates taking the written test will proceed immediately to the physical ability test if they receive a passing grade on the written test.
- Certified officers will be contacted individually to schedule their physical ability test time.
- To participate in the testing, you must complete a Waiver of Claim for Injury form (provided at testing).
Physical Ability Practice Session Available:
- An opportunity to practice the physical ability course will be available beginning at 1700 hours on Friday, January 11, 2019 at the National Guard Armory located at 340 S. Willow St, Harrisonburg, VA.
- Doors open at 1700 hours.
- Please note that attendance at the physical ability practice session is not a requirement for testing on Saturday, January 12, 2019.
To be eligible to apply for an open position with the Harrisonburg Police Department you must complete the written test (waived for current VA Certified Officers) and physical ability test. Upon successful completion of the tests, you will receive an original certificate indicating eligibility to apply. The written test and physical ability certificate will be valid for one year from testing date.
As openings occur, the Harrisonburg Police Department (HPD) will advertise the position and accept applications. To be considered you ++must++ submit an online application and Police Officer testing certificate.
If you have questions after reviewing this information, please contact the Human Resources department at 540.432.8920 or email@example.com.
- Age: 21 Years Old by Date of Hire
- Education: High School Diploma or GED. College Degree or Military Experience, preferred.
- Experience: None Required. Military Experience, preferred.
Minimum Requirements for Police Officer
- High School Diploma or GED. College Degree or Military Experience, preferred.
- 21 years of age by date of hire.
- U.S. Citizen or Permanent Resident Alien with an application for Naturalization filed and pending with Immigration Services.
- Valid driver's license with good record.
- Able to work 12-hour shift (6am - 6pm, 6pm - 6am, or 3pm - 3am).
- Good physical condition.
- Must live or be willing to move within a 30-mile radius of Harrisonburg, VA.
City of Harrisonburg Human Resources Department