El Paso County Sheriff's Office - Colorado Springs, Colorado
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $30.01 hourly
Performs forensic laboratory analysis of evidence and photo processing in support of criminal investigations. Testifies in court regarding collection and identity of evidence.
- Responds to and assists in the investigation of crime scenes.
- Takes measurements, sketches scenes, and takes detailed notes.
- Identifies, collects, and preserves evidence utilizing a variety of methods.
- Searches for and recovers latent prints.
- Photographs and 3-D scans scenes.
- Attends autopsies and recovers evidential items.
- Prepares reports and crime scene diagrams.
- Teaches forensic skills.
- Remains proficient and current in crime analysis services, technology, innovations, and trends.
- Maintains awareness of pertinent laws and regulations.
- Testifies in court.
- Maintains or replace equipment as needed.
- Performs other duties as required.
- Age: 21
- Education: Associate's degree in forensic science, criminal justice or related field required
- Experience: 2 years of full-time responsible investigatory, forensic, or related law enforcement experience. A Bachelor's degree in a related field may be considered in lieu of this experience.
- Advanced experience in a specialized forensic science discipline or (e.g., bloodstain pattern analysis, tire and/or footwear impression, latent print comparison, crime scene reconstruction and event sequencing, firearms/ballistic examination, NIBIN, and AFIS) preferred.
- Ability to review a crime scene and recognize what, where, and how evidence may be located and collected.
- Ability to work closely with and at the direction of law enforcement officers.
- Excellent report writing and analytical skills.
- Attentiveness to details.
- Computer skills.
- Knowledge of photography and equipment.
- Must be able to carry photographic and crime scene equipment on foot over rough terrain to reach and process remote crime scenes.
- Ability to work various shifts, overtime, and be on-call on a rotating basis.
- Must be honest, truthful, trustworthy, and possess a high degree of personal integrity.
- Maintain regular and punctual attendance.
- An equivalent combination of related education and experience may be substituted for the education and experience requirements above.
- Must successfully pass a background investigation, truth verification examination, physical examination, motor vehicle record check and pre-employment drug screen.