Trainee Police Officer
Police Officer Trainee
City of Alamogordo - Alamogordo,
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $16.70 hourly
- Academy Graduate:
- $17.90 hourly
General Police responsibility necessary for the safety and good order of the community through enforcement of the constitution and laws of the United States of America, State of New Mexico, the ordinances of the City of Alamogordo, and established police regulations.
· Responds to emergency, non-emergency and routine calls; patrols City, arrests criminal suspects, issues citations, serves warrants, subpoenas, civil papers, and other legal documents promptly and accurately;
· Identifies criminal offenders and criminal activity and where appropriate, apprehend offenders and participate in subsequent court proceedings to testify and provide expert opinion;
· Performs vehicle, personnel, and property identification checks;
· Investigates crimes including: securing crime scene, performing surveillance, preparing required documentation, collecting evidence, questioning witnesses and victims;
· Conducts special enforcement programs, including directing DWI interdictions, implementing specific patrol techniques, and inspecting seat belt usages and regulation compliance;
· Conducts all levels of crime prevention, including identifying crime locations and type, and executing crime prevention tactics and programs;
· Assists with community relations projects including the implementation of programs that increase public awareness of police operations and procedures;
· Provides safety and security services and related functions at various public and private schools as outlined in APD Rules and Regulations;
· Responsible for Professional Standards outlined in the Canon of Ethics;
· May participate on special assignments as designated by Alamogordo Police Chief;
· Contributes to a high quality work culture through participation in training and mentoring to develop skills, including safety related training and skills;
· Provides excellent customer service to ensure high operational and service standards are met and maintained for the Citizens of Alamogordo; and
· Perform duties according to City of Alamogordo Ordinances; City wide and Departmental Policies and Procedures, and any applicable Laws regulated by an outside authority.
The duties listed above are intended only as illustrations of the various types of work that may be performed. The omission of specific statements of duties does not exclude them from the position if the work is similar, related or a logical assignment to the position.
EMPLOYEE BENEFIT PLANS
The City of Alamogordo Benefit Package offers Basic Life - Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D), Short Term and Long Term Disability Coverage, Dental Coverage, Vision and Medical Insurance.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION AND APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE AT:
- Age: 21
- Education: High school diploma or GED equivalent.
- Experience: None
· High school diploma or GED equivalent;
· Must be at least 21 years of age on the date of application;
· Valid New Mexico Driver’s License or the ability to obtain within sixty (60) days of employment; with a good driving record acceptable to the City of Alamogordo;
· Must not have any felony convictions, domestic violence or DWI convictions, or any other convictions for crimes indicating lack of character or moral turpitude;
· Must be a United States Citizen;
· Must successfully pass police officer physical agility testing within the specified time limits;
· Must successfully pass police officer entry level written examination;
· Must successfully pass a medical exam that meet physical requirements, a drug screening test, a psychological exam, a polygraph test or a voice stress analysis, a hearing test, an eye test and a thorough background investigation; and
· Ability to obtain certification from the New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy within one year of employment.
++REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES++ Knowledge of:
· Criminal and civil law;
· Departmental rules and regulations;
· Investigation and crime prevention methods;
· Identification records processes and procedures; and
· First aid and cardiopulmonary resuscitation procedures.
· Safely use vehicles, firearms, and specialized equipment;
· Operate a computer to prepare records and reports;
· Apply criminal investigative techniques;
· Operate intoxilyzer; control traffic and accident scenes;
· Establish and maintain effective working relationships with other law enforcement agencies, city attorneys office, other departmental employees, community and school organizations, and the general public;
· Demonstrate proficiency in both oral and written communication;
· Maintain accurate records or reports;
· Maintain appropriate necessary certifications; and
· Demonstrate and maintain physical endurance, agility, dexterity, and strength necessary to perform required duties.
Human Resources Generalist
City of Alamogordo
Alamogordo, New Mexico 88310