Lateral Police Officer
Sitka Police Department - Sitka, Alaska
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $27.38 hourly
- $28.06 hourly
Are you looking to be part of a progress department in a city voted safest in Alaska? Affectionately known as Sitka by the Sea, Sitka is nestled at the foot of magnificent glacial carved mountains at the edge of the Gulf of Alaska on Baranof Island, located on the outer coast of Alaska’s Inside Passage and lies at the heart of the largest temperate rain forest in the world, the Tongass National Forest. With views of island-studded waters and forests descending to the water’s edge, Sitka is home to approximately 9,000 people.
The Sitka Police Department employs 16 full time sworn officers, as well as a dispatch center and community jail, to cover a jurisdiction that includes some 4,710 square miles of land area and over 1,300 miles of coastline. Come be a part of our diverse city.
**RESPONSIBILITIES: **The employee occupying this position is responsible for enforcing all City, State and Federal laws within the jurisdiction of the City and Borough of Sitka. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to: conducting patrol duties; apprehending suspects and taking statements; responding to emergencies; directing traffic; investigating crimes; preparing documents.
**BENEFITS INCLUDE: **
- State of Alaska Public Employee Retirement System (PERS).
- State of Alaska Supplemental Benefit System (SBS).
- Accrued Paid Time Off.
- Union Representation.
- Premera Blue Cross Blue Shield Alaska
- 12 Paid Holidays.
- Uniforms and Equipment Provided with the exception of boots.
- $5,000 Moving Allowance.
- Age: 21 years of age at time of application
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: 1 year or more
MINIMUM REQUIREMENTS: High School Diploma or GED, and one year of law enforcement experience, or an equivalent combination of education and experience sufficient to successfully perform the essential duties of the job. Must be 21 years of age at time of application, able to pass a background check, and in possession of a valid driver’s license. Must meet all the requirements of the Alaska Police Standards Council for certification.
- Must meet minimum standards of Alaska Police Standards Council for Police Officer
- Must have no felony or serious misdemeanor convictions
- Must be a U. S. citizen or resident alien
- Must be able to observe situations analytically and objectively and to record them clearly and completely
- Must be able to react quickly and calmly in emergencies
- Must be able to express oneself clearly and concisely, orally and in writing
- Must be able to develop skill in the use and care of firearms
- 12 hour shifts. 4 on/3 off, 3 on/4 off.