Metra - Chicago, Illinois
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $30.08 hourly
Metra Police Department
The Northeast Regional Commuter Railroad Corporation (D/B/A Metra) is now accepting applications for the position of police officer with the Metra Police Department.
Starting Salary: $55,068 non-certified (75%) at academy; $62,410 certified (85%) on 18-month probation; $73,424 off-probation patrol officer
Sworn Police Officers: 120
The Metra Police Department is responsible for the safety and security of the second largest commuter railroad system in the United States.
The Metra Rail System is an approximately 500-mile system which moves more than 90 million Chicagoland passengers annually through 242 stations and 11 lines and operates as part of the single most important railroad hub in North America.
A professional police force of more than 100 sworn officers, the Metra Police Department is responsible for the safety and security of the Metra system in a 6-county service area: Cook, DuPage, Kane, Lake, McHenry and Will counties in Northeastern Illinois.
Our officers provide full police services to our passengers, employees, stations, equipment and rights-of-way. Metra Police Officers serve in various capacities which include: administrative staff, canine units, detective division, Homeland Security Unit, and patrol division.
All applicants must meet the following minimum requirements established by The Northeast Regional Commuter Railroad Corporation:
- U.S. Citizenship AND/OR legal permanent resident of the United States;
- No felony convictions (Note: a misdemeanor or serious traffic offense may also disqualify applicants from further consideration). A list of disqualifying convictions is contained in the “Disqualification Section” of the Summary of the Hiring Process page of this application;
- Valid driver’s license;
- At least 21 years of age at time of appointment as a sworn officer;
- Be a high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent;
- Illinois residents must possess a valid Firearm Owners Identification Card (F.O.I.D.) at the time of hire;
- Applicants who are not an actively certified police officer in the State of Illinois (as outlined in the Illinois Police Training Act, 50/ILCS, 705), shall be required to present a ++valid++** POWER Test Certification card at the time of the oral interview.**
- Successful qualified applicants will be hired as a Metra Police Recruit and required to attend and successfully complete an approved Basic Law Enforcement Training Course (as outlined in the Illinois Police Training Act, 50/ILCS, 705);
- Selected candidates must undergo and successfully pass a physical examination/drug test, psychological evaluation, and comprehensive background check to verify information regarding education, employment, vehicle and criminal history, including fingerprints;
- A background check will be conducted regarding drug and alcohol testing history on candidates who have worked for agencies subject to DOT regulations;
- This position is subject to random drug and alcohol testing;
- Relocation is not available for this position;
Pay a $45.00 non-refundable application processing fee.
To apply for this position or obtain additional information, please visit the following website:
NOTE: Applications will be open from now through 9/16/2019 at 4:00 p.m. Central Standard Time.
Metra is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. It is our policy to fill vacant positions with qualified candidates without regard to race, color, sex, religion, national origin, age, gender identity, or disability, assuming an individual can perform the essential functions of the job with or without accommodation.
For more information on the Metra Police Department:
- Age: 21 years of age as a sworn officer
- Education: high school graduate or possess a G.E.D. equivalent
- Experience: valid POWER Test Certification card at the time of the oral interview