Full time Police Officer
Ellis Police Department - Ellis, Kansas
- Entry Level Salary:
- $13.66 hourly
CITY OF ELLIS, KANSAS
Position Type: Full-time
Reports To: Police Chief
Retirement Plan: KPERS
This description was last updated November 18, 2012
OSHA: Blood borne Pathogens
Work a 12 hour shift
This is highly responsible work in the taking calls for service, patrolling to deter and detect crime, investigating complaints, citing and/or arresting law violators, etc. Work is performed with independence and in accordance with applicable laws, ordinances and regulations, under the general supervision of a superior officer.
Duties and Responsibilities
The following represent the essential duties of this position. Additional related duties may be performed as assigned.
• Respond to emergency and routine calls for service, patrolling to deter and detect crime.
• Observe and recall information and details.
• Analyze situations quickly, objectively and determine the proper course of action.
• Investigating complaints, citing and/or arresting law violators.
• Prepare concise factual reports of specified incidents, following up on pending reports and cases.
• Protecting persons and property as well as securing and protecting prisoners.
• Communicate effectively with the public in a firm, courteous manner and maintain composure in all types of situations.
• Communicate effectively with other officers and outside agencies.
• Effectively communicate VIA radio.
• Work well independently or as a member of a team.
• Willing to work overtime as needed.
• Maintain positive and professional attitude and appearance.
• Must be US citizen and at least 21 years of age by application date.
• High school diploma or equivalent.
• Completion of KLETC training at earliest possible scheduled date.
• Ability to communicate effectively, orally and in writing.
• Ability to maintain records and prepare accurate reports in a timely manner.
Must be in good physical condition and have ability and endurance to sprint, climb, crawl, lift, etc. to respond effectively to calls for service, apprehend and arrest suspects and perform all duties required of a police officer. Must be able to sit and stand for prolonged periods of time. The successful applicant must be able to fully operate a duty handgun, shotgun or rifle using both hands. Must have 20/20 vision in both eyes and correctable to 20/20 with visual acuity and adequate night vision to read license plates, gather evidence and read and write reports in an accurate manner. Must have hearing in both ears sufficient to hear radio communications, detect sounds and gather information related to criminal activity as well as hear emergency signals.
This position will be on call as necessary, with overtime, holiday, and weekend as well as shift work required.
Must possess a valid driver's license and have a good driving record. (A minimal amount of non-hazardous traffic violations is acceptable.)
No prior criminal history.
Must exercise good judgment and provide leadership in potential life threatening situations. Successful applicant must maintain the state LEO certification with 40 hours of certified training.
Successful applicant must relocate and live within the Ellis School district within 6 months of being hired.
- Age: 21 Years of Age
- Education: Minimum education is High school deploma or equivilant
- Experience: KLETC is preferred but not required
Additional Examples of Work Performed:
• Testify in administrative as well as judicial proceedings.
• Participates in planning and executing special projects and program.
• Performs other duties as deemed necessary or assigned.
Ellis Police Department
Ellis, Kansas 67637
phone: (785) 726-4141