Communications Officer/Public Safety Specialist III
University of North Texas Police Department - Denton, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $30,535.00 annual
The Communications Officer is responsible for handling emergency and non-emergency calls and radio communications for the University Police Department. Job duties include:
- Receiving incoming calls/messages and connecting them with appropriate personnel or offices
- Entering records of calls/messages for service and officer activity into the records management system
- Maintaining records and files
- Operating a Federal/State regulated computer system which accesses law enforcement sensitive records including driver’s license, vehicle registration, and criminal warrant and history information.
Special Instructions to Applicants: PLEASE VISIT THE UNT POLICE WEBSITE AT www.unt.edu/police/Employment FOR FURTHER INSTRUCTIONS AND TO DOWNLOAD A PERSONAL HISTORY STATEMENT. ** APPLICATIONS WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL A QUALIFIED POOL OF APPLICANTS IS IDENTIFIED.** The University of North Texas is an Equal Opportunity, Affirmative Action employer.
- Age: : 18
- Education: : HS Diploma/GED
- Experience: : None
High School diploma/GED and two years of communications or related experience. Substitution of education for experience allowed. The following knowledge, skills, and abilities are required:Applicant must have not been convicted of a family violence offense or any offense Class A or above. Applicant cannot have been convicted of a Class B Misdemeanor within the past ten years. Must have received an Honorable Discharge from military service, if applicable. Applicants will be subjected to a complete background investigation to include fingerprint check. Preferred Qualifications: Current TCLEOSE, EMD, TLETS, and/or TCIC certifications and Prior Public Safety Communications experience preferred.
- Basic computer proficiency including keyboarding, data entry, data retrieval, electronic forms completion, and working knowledge of Word, Excel, and Outlook.
- Ability to follow written and oral instructions.
- Ability to actively listen to requests for service via telephone and radio; clearly articulate questions, instructions, and information, and take appropriate action in accordance with established procedures and guidelines.
- Ability to rapidly assimilate information from a variety of sources to direct appropriate resources where they may be needed.
- Ability to function under pressure or in emergency situations.
- Ability to manage multiple tasks and activities in a fast-paced environment in accordance with established policies, procedures, and training.
- Possession of a Texas Commission on Law Enforcement Officer Standards and Education (TCLEOSE) Basic Telecommunicator License, Emergency Medical Dispatcher (EMD) Certification, Texas Law Enforcement Telecommunications System (TLETS) Certification, and Texas Crime Information Center/National Crime Information Center or TCIC/NCIC Full Access Certification; or ability to attain all certifications and licensure within twelve months of employment.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!