City of Pickerington - Pickerington, Ohio
- Entry Level Salary:
- $17.21 hourly
- Top Pay:
- $20.93 hourly
PICKERINGTON, CITY OF, DIVISION OF POLICE
100 LOCKVILLE ROAD
PICKERINGTON, OHIO 43147
Updated: January 23, 2013
Classification: Police Dispatcher
The City of Pickerington is currently building an eligibility list to fill potential vacancies through 2013.
Salary Information: $17.21/hr - $20.93/hr FT or PT
Full Time: Paid holidays, Personal days, Sick Leave accrual, Vacation accrual, Shift differential, Overtime eligible, Longevity, Job-related tuition reimbursement, Uniforms, Health and Rx Insurance, Vision, Life, Deferred Compensation. Member of the AFSCME bargaining unit.
Part Time Dispatcher wages and uniforms are the same. Holidays are pro-rated and one 8/hr wellness day per 6 months of employment is provided. Part Time Dispatchers are ineligible for other benefits such as insurance coverage.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES AND RESPONSIBLITIES:
• Record and monitor all calls for police in Computer Aided Dispatch (CAD) System and dispatch proper personnel via radio. Interpret and transmit important information from 911 equipment to emergency personnel or to proper jurisdiction when misrouted. Monitor various radio frequencies for transmissions.
• Give potential life saving instructions to, sometimes distraught, callers over the telephone.
• Operate/Query state regulated computer terminal (L.E.A.D.S.) for information on vehicles and persons per Officer’s request. This also includes making entries ie: wanted/ missing people, stolen/impounded vehicles; criminal histories and sending messages to other agencies regarding sensitive law enforcement information.
• Respond to Community and Public requests regarding special events and routine questions ie: driving directions/road conditions, telephone numbers, fingerprint inquiries, etc.
• May represent police department at public speaking engagements and answer questions regarding 911 and other duties of a Public Safety Dispatcher.
• Maintain needed forms and logs for prisoners in county jail on local charges; warrant log; vehicle impounds, adult and juvenile ticket and charge log, traffic cone log, and resident vacation checks.
• Assist Clerk of Court in collecting bond/fines and issue receipts. Gather, copy, stamp and prepare court packets for arrestees. Prepare the weekly tickets for Court Clerk and prepare affidavits/personal recognizance bonds and notarize documents as needed.
• Assist outside agencies by sending back-up emergency personnel when requested; query and relay business/residence information from CAD system.
• Maintain media relations via press releases as directed from the Chief of Police.
• During high risk situations, notify the appropriate supervisor and any special units requested by the on-scene Supervisor, in addition to maintaining regular shift duties.
• Attend meetings, conferences and training seminars as needed and approved.
• May perform additional clerical and/or reception duties, including but not limited to notifying officers of changes in the court schedule, recording court dispositions, completing and distributing extra patrol forms, print daily logs, keep policy/procedure and general order books and rolodex updated, make copies and distribute reports as needed, load important address information into the CAD/InterBadge system.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Grad/GED
- Experience: Yes
US Citizen: Yes
Ability to Read/Speak English: Yes
Public Safety Dispatchers hold safety-sensitive positions with a high degree of responsibility. Candidates must pass an extensive background investigation including physical and drug testing to be eligible for hire.
• Knowledge of the City of Pickerington and surrounding areas; police department policies/procedures, city organizations and functions; FCC rules and regulations, and police/fire terminology.
• Ability to recognize unusual and/or threatening situations and react accordingly.
• Skill in radio operations and related equipment: Telecommunications Device for the Deaf (TDD); telephone; two way radio; CAD; L.E.A.D.S.; copy machine; fax machine; recorders; VCRs; Cellular phones and radios.
REQUIRED EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
Any combination of training and/or work experience that establishes the possession of listed skills, knowledge and abilities above. An example of acceptable qualifications for this position are:
Completion of secondary education or equivalent; ability to appropriately respond to an emergency situations; ability to multi-task and prioritize work; carry-out written, oral or scheduled instruction; define specific problems, collect data, establish facts and draw conclusions from information; communicate effectively in oral and written form, type/keyboard 30 words per minute; assist and respond courteously and professionally to the public and co-workers; must demonstrate excellent hearing and diction; ability to multitask with multiple calls and radio traffic, obtain required certifications within established time period.
City of Pickerington
100 Lockville Road
Pickerington, Ohio 43147
phone: (866) 563-3882