• High school diploma or GED required. (GED must be accompanied by proof of at least twelve (12) college hours as required by the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education (TCLEOSE))
• Knowledge and level of competency commonly associated with completion of specialized training in the field of work, in addition to basic skills typically associated with a high school education.
• Sufficient experience to understand the basic principles relevant to the major duties of the position usually associated with having had a similar position for one or two years.
• Possession of a valid driver’s license issued by the State of Texas for the type of vehicle or equipment operated.
• Ability to meet current requirements set forth by the Texas Commission of Law Enforcement Officers Standards and Education.
MAJOR DUTIES, FUNCITIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES
Essential duties and functions may include the following:
• Able to work unsupervised in undercover operations and willing to live and work undercover for periods of time.
• Skilled in under cover operations
• Investigates assigned cases; gathers information, assists with the determination of the point at which cases are ready for prosecution
• Detains and arrests suspects, protects the rights of individuals in custody, obtains identification and prior arrest record information on suspects, records all confiscated property, and transports suspects to jail.
• Determines whether probable cause exists to conduct searches, obtains search warrants, and conducts searches.
• Provides guidance and assigns work to others at a crime scene; responsible for overseeing a crime scene.
• Describes reasons for arrest, obtains arrest warrants, and makes arrests or turns warrants over to other law enforcement personnel for service.
• Maintains control over physical evidence gathered, records and stores evidence, processes evidence for fingerprints and identification information, and transports evidence to the state crime laboratory for further processing.
• Investigates crimes and related law enforcement problems; searches and processes crime scenes by photographing and/or diagramming scenes and evidence, checking for latent fingerprints, and collecting any physical evidence present.
• Identifies potential witnesses and suspects through observation and investigatory process crime scenes or reports; conducts interviews to gather information regarding incidents.
• Prepares a variety of records and reports, including supplemental investigation, background investigation, internal investigation, and statistical reports.
• Reviews incident reports and arrest records to determine patterns of criminal activity.
• Maintains contacts with community members who may be able to provide information regarding criminal activities.
• Communicates with other police and security agents to gather information regarding cases.
• Conducts stakeouts and undercover operations as necessary.
• May be assigned to investigate financial, juvenile, vice, homicide, drug, auto theft, property, robbery, assault, gang-related and other crimes.
• Maintains assigned uniforms, vehicle and equipment in accordance with departmental policies and procedures.
• May be on call after hours to respond to emergency situations.
• Performs other duties as assigned.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma
- Experience: min 2 years
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES REQUIRED BY THE POSITION
• Knowledge of federal and state laws, criminal and traffic laws, City ordinances and departmental policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of city and departmental safety policies and procedures.
• Knowledge of the geography and streets of the City of Big Spring.
• Knowledge of criminal investigation methods.
• Knowledge of the judicial processes and court procedures.
• Skill in crime scene processing methods used to collect and preserve evidence for court admissibility
• Skill in the use of photographic and surveillance equipment, audio-visual equipment, communications equipment, and various emergency equipment.
• Skill in operating a computer and police software.
• Skill in the use of firearms and self-defense techniques.
• Skill in report writing
• Skill in dealing with the public
• Skill in interview and interrogation techniques
• Skill in processing, recording and filing evidence
• Skill in oral and written communication.
• Skilled in undercover operations
Big Spring Police Department
3613 W Hwy 80
Big Spring, Texas 79720
phone: (432) 264-2561