TYLER POLICE DEPARTMENT is a nationally accredited police agency. We employ approximately 250 personnel and serve a population of over 112,000 residents.
Applications are now being accepted for persons who meet the qualifications listed below to take the Civil Service Exam scheduled for May 18, 2013. Applications and additional information may be obtained from the City of Tyler Human Resources Department, 212 N. Bonner, Tyler, Texas 75702 or by going to the Tyler Police Department web site at www.tylerpolice.com.
Applicants must meet the following qualifications at the time of application:
1. Be a US Citizen, aged 21 to 44 years old, and must not have attained their 45th birthday at the time the written examination is taken.
2. Completion of 30 semester hours of college with a minimum of a 2.0 GPA for all courses taken, or meet one of the following requirements:
• Have served at least 3 years active duty in one of the armed forces of the United States (reserve time will not be considered).
• Have at least three (3) years law enforcement employment in the capacity of full-time paid certified peace officer with a law enforcement agency employing twenty-five (25) or more certified peace officers (reserve time will not be considered).
3. Must be in good health and physical condition & able to perform all essential functions of the position.
4. Must possess a valid DL and have good driving record.
5. If a veteran, must have an "honorable discharge".
6. Must complete a ride-along program with a Police Training Officer (PTO) prior to appointment.
7. Prior to appointment, must be examined by a city-designated physician who can declare in writing that the exam showed no trace of drug dependency or illegal drug use.
8. Must be able to intelligently read, write & fluently speak the English language.
9. Must be of good moral character.
10. Must meet all the requirements of TCLEOSE for licensing of peace officers.
HOW TO APPLY:
Application packets must be received by the City of Tyler Human Resources Department, 212 N. Bonner, PO Box 2039, Tyler, Texas 75710 by Friday, May 10, 2013 at 5:00 pm. Mailed applications must be postmarked by the application deadline in order to be accepted. The packet must contain the following documents:
* Completed Police Recruit application
* Copy of Veteran discharge paper (DD214) showing "Honorable Discharge", if applicable
* Copy of proof of US Citizenship or employer eligibility (ex: DL & SS card or voter registration card & birth certificate), as defined by the INS I-9 List of Acceptable Documents.
* Official college transcript from an accredited college (NO COPIES)
* Proof of age (birth certificate or DL)
Applicants are encouraged to review the OFFICIAL CIVIL SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT from the City of Tyler for additional details on essential job functions, eligibility & the hiring process. It is available for download on the Tyler Police Department web site at www.tylerpolice.com
- Age: 21 to 44 years old
- Education: at least 30 semester hours of college with minimum 2.0 GPA
- Experience: None
1. Civil Service Examination
2. Placement on eligibility list based on test score
3. Applicant checked for automatic disqualifiers:
(criminal history check & driving history check)
4. Conditional Job Offer given by Chief of Police
5. Ride-Along Program
6. Medical Examination
7. Physical Testing: (under limit)
a. 1.5 mile run (18 minutes, 48 seconds)
b. 300 meter run (76 seconds)
c. 18 push-ups (no time limit)
d. 16 sit-ups (1 minute time limit)
e. Able to press 62% of body weight (1 rep)
f. Agility run (22 seconds)
g. Vertical jump (min. 14.5 inches)
h. Hearing test
i. Vision test
8. Psychological Examination
9. Background Investigation
10. Polygraph Examination
11. Departmental Review Board interview
12. Unannounced Drug Screen during hiring process
INCENTIVES:(In addition to base salary)
* Cleaning Allowance $600/yr.
* College Pay (Max.) $1,800/yr.
* Certificate Pay (Max.) $1,800/yr.
* Longevity Pay (Max.) $1,200/yr.
* Plainclothes Allowance $1,000/yr.
* Assignment Pay for specialized units (Max.) $2,700/yr.
* Shift Differential after 2:00pm $1,200/yr.
after 10:00pm $2,400/yr.
* Bilingual Pay (Max.) $1,200/yr.
* Health / Dental / Life Insurance
* 20 Year Retirement
* 10 Paid Holidays
* 15 Days Paid Vacation/Year
* 15 Days Paid Sick Leave/Year
* Tuition Reimbursement
* Custom Benefit Plan
* Deferred Compensation Plan
* Uniforms Furnished
* Promotional Opportunities