Deputy Chief of Police
Westerville Division of Police - Westerville, Ohio
- Entry Level Salary:
- $71,240.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $106,828.00 annual
The City of Westerville is seeking candidates for the position of Deputy Chief of Police. Located in central Ohio, approximately 15 miles north of downtown Columbus, Westerville has a population of over 37,000 residents and is approximately 13 square miles. The Division of Police has a staff of 74 full-time officers, 11 reserve officers, 22 dispatchers and 17 other civilian positions, with a 2013 budget of over $13 million. The salary range for the position is $71,240 to $106,828 (commensurate with experience) and includes an excellent package.
Under general direction of the Police Chief, manages and directs the operations of the Division of Police. Performs other duties as assigned. The Deputy Chief of Police is an “essential” position.
Exercises supervision over police lieutenants and civilian managers. Work involves responsibility to see that all division functions are operating properly and efficiently. Work involves budget recommendations, division policy suggestions, and compliance with general orders, policies, and procedures. Is Acting Police Chief in the Chief’s absence.
The selection process will be facilitated by consultants from the Ohio Association of Chiefs of Police (OACP). For selected candidates, the process will include an interview panel. Candidates selected as finalists will be invited to participate in the assessment center. The offer of employment will be conditional upon the results of a background investigation, a psychological examination, and a physical examination.
- Age: 31
- Education: Bachelor's Degree
- Experience: 10 years, Lieutenant rank or above
• Candidates must have demonstrated skills in the area of leadership, communication, management, budgeting, and community relations.
• Candidates must have achieved rank of lieutenant or above with a minimum of 10 years police management experience.
• A Bachelor’s Degree in Criminal Justice, Public Administration, Political Science or a similar field from an accredited college or university that is recognized by the US Department of Education.
• Successful completion of the FBI National Academy, the Southern Police Institute’s Command Officer Development Course, or the Northwestern University/Traffic Institute’s School of Police Staff and Command are preferred.
• Within 6 months of appointment, the candidate must be certified through the Ohio Peace Officer’s Training Council.
Applicants must submit the following information to http://www.westerville.org/index.aspx?page=312
1. A cover letter addressing the reasons for your interest in the position.
2. A resume including detailed information relative to the qualifications.
3. A copy of current Police/Peace Officer certification.
4. An organizational chart from your present employer.
Westerville Division of Police
29 S State St
Westerville, Ohio 43081
phone: (614) 901-6470