Under close supervision, this employee performs routine residential and commercial patrol. Investigates motor vehicle accidents, crimes against property, and violent crimes. Performs traffic control duties and traffic code enforcement to include issuing citations. Conducts crime prevention activities. Operates vehicles in routine and emergency situations. Receives training in report preparation and other general duty police work. May testify in court. Must learn how to use specialized equipment, such as firearms, communications equipment, and computers. Ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with co-workers, and the general public. Ability to meet deadlines with severe time constraints.
Work is performed inside and outside, sometimes in inclement weather conditions. May be subject to cuts, bruises, scrapes, burns, broken bones, insect and/or animal bites, germs, bacteria, viruses, environmental allergens, gases and fumes, VDT’s and CRT’s. May require arduous physical exertion under vigorous and unusual conditions; must be able to drag 175 pounds for 15 feet. Irregular work hours, nights, weekends, holidays, and on-call duty required.
Age: 20 yrs and six months minimum no max age
Must have a High school diploma or equivalent; and must have a record clear of felony convictions or crimes involving moral turpitude.
• Must have a good driving record.Must possess a valid Class D New Mexico driver’s license. If an applicant currently possesses an out of state driver’s license he/she must obtain a NM driver’s license within six (6) weeks after graduating the NMDPS Academy. Must be at least 21 years of age upon completion of the NMDPS Academy. Must be a United States citizen and establish New Mexico residence within six (6) months of hire date.
Must successfully pass:
• A written examination.
• A series of physical agility tests.
• An oral interview with selection committee.
• A polygraph examination.
• A background investigation.
• A psychological examination as to whether the candidate is free of any mental or emotional condition which might adversely affect performance.
• A complete medical examination.
• A pre-employment drug screening test.
The last phase is a Chief's selection board, only given if the applicant can pass all of the above phases.