- Age: 21 by June 1, 2013
- Education: HS Diploma/GED and at least AA degree or 60 college credits. Waive for 3 years active military duty or as a sworn officer.
- Experience: Six months to one year of related experience a plus.
• Ability to handle confidential information in a sensitive manner
• Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective and reasonable course of action during stressful, emotional and/or physically taxing situations
• Ability to take initiative with little direct supervision
• Ability to write clear, accurate, factual and concise reports
• Ability to read, understand and interpret ordinances, laws and other operational procedures
• Excellent critical thinking skills, including, but not limited to, the ability to: make observations and remember pertinent facts; question witnesses and obtain pertinent information
• Excellent oral/interpersonal communication skills, including, but not limited to: mediation of conflict; tact, diplomacy and professionalism when dealing with members of the public; empathy and sensitivity to victims of crime, etc.
• Ability to handle stressful, hostile or irrational persons, whether due to physical or mental impairments, drugs/controlled substances or alcohol, or other factors
• Basic mathematical skills
• Ability to maintain intense concentration and alertness during stressful situation, particularly when preceded by extended periods of relative low stress or monotony.
• Excellent and safe driving techniques under emergency and non-emergency conditions
• Must be of good moral character
• Proficiency with PC’s, specifically mobile data units, and computer software and applications
• Knowledge of state, federal, and city laws and ordinances
• Knowledge of City geography
• General knowledge of office equipment, including facsimile, photo copier, telephone, calculator, and shredder
• Knowledge of tools and equipment, including emergency equipment (i.e. AED, etc.), fire equipment, electronic equipment and firearms
• Proficiency with firearms and other tools and techniques used for the defense of self and others
• Certification as an Iowa Police Officer within twelve months of employment
• NCIC Certification within six months of employment
• CPR & First Aid
• Valid Iowa Driver’s license
• Long periods of sitting
• Intermittent periods of standing and walking
• Ability to lift, carry, push, and pull up to 50 pounds
• Occasional need to lift, carry, push and/or pull heavy objects (e.g. adult human bodies, etc.)
• Occasional need to run short to moderate distances (e.g. pursuit of persons, emergency advance or retreat, etc.)
• Constant talking, hearing, smelling, near and far sight acuity, depth perception, color vision, field of vision, concentration, judgement, and writing ability
• Frequent stooping, reaching, handling, climbing, balancing, kneeling, crouching, crawling, dexterity, and feeling
• Constant exposure to weather, moving mechanical parts/hazards, and other environmental conditions
• Moderate exposure to extreme heat and/or cold, wet and/or humid conditions, noise intensity level, darkness/poor lighting, high, exposed places, confined spaces, dirt/dust, and odours
• Moderate use of protective footwear, ear wear, eye wear, hard hat, protective vests, and gloves
• Must be willing to use force, possibly including deadly force, if necessary to fulfil duties.
Note: This job description should not be construed to imply that these requirements are the exclusive standards of the position. Incumbents will follow any other instructions, and perform any other related duties, as may be required. The employer has the right to revise this job description at any time. The job description is not to be construed as a contract for employment.