UC Berkeley - Main Campus
The University of California Police Department provides a full range of law enforcement services in support of the academic and public service missions of the University of California, serving a diverse community of more than 35,000 students and 20,000 faculty & staff in the vibrant City of Berkeley, at the heart of the San Francisco Bay Area. In addition to the traditional role of a police department we also carry out a variety of proactive educational, outreach and crime prevention programs. We pride ourselves in a professional and high-quality delivery of service, which we provide with sensitivity to the unique concerns of the University community.
At the Berkeley campus, we employ approximately 70 sworn peace officers, 45 full time civilian employees and 50 part-time students. We are interested in ethical, intelligent, creative and motivated candidates who possess the desire and talent required to address the unique challenges of our urban campus environment. We offer a wide variety of assignments and a public service experience unlike any other agency.
The Police Captain works under the general direction of the Chief of Police and independently manages a unit of the Police Department, providing a comprehensive twenty-four hour law enforcement and security program for all segments of the campus community. Serves as part of the University Police Department management team, establishing department policies and objectives. May be in command at the scene of major criminal incidents, demonstrations or special events.
The Captain will establish and implement department goals, objectives, policies and procedures within the context of the University's mission and the relevant legal requirements; effectively allocates human and financial resources, collaborate with other campus departments and law enforcement and governmental agencies; provides support or advice to other members of the campus community on routine matters and unusual events; sets a positive example through work product and behavior, encourage teamwork among both sworn and civilian employees, and supervises sworn and civilian staff; participates in campus emergency planning and as a member of the EOC; and acts on behalf of the Chief or in absence of Chief.
- Demonstrated ability to manage people, programs and budgets in a law enforcement agency in a diverse and dynamic community.
- Proven ability to independently exercise common sense and good judgment under pressure.
- Demonstrated experience with “state-of-the-art” police management techniques and trends.
- Possess a valid California Driver License
- Bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience
Candidates must meet one of the following minimum qualifications:
- Employed as a Police Lieutenant or higher in California AND possess POST Advanced Certificate; or
- Ten years employment as a police sergeant or higher in California with progressively more responsibility including significant management duties AND possession of valid California POST Advanced and Supervisory Certificates; or
- If employed outside California, experience at the rank of Police Lieutenant or higher with certification equivalent to a California POST Advanced Certificate AND must qualify for a California POST Certificate within one year of hire; or
- Currently employed as a UC Police Sergeant for at least 3 years AND possess a POST Advanced Certificate.
First Review Date: May 15, 2013. This requisition will remain open until filled.
For more information and to apply, visit our site
click on ‘Job Listings’ followed by ‘External Applicants’, and then search for job number 15721.