Chief Conservation Warden
Wisconsin DNR - Madison, Wisconsin
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $89,784.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $99,387.00 annual
The Director of the Bureau of Law Enforcement provides day to day leadership, supervision, and management of the Law Enforcement program, currently over 300 personnel. This position coordinates the work of approximately 205 full-time conservation wardens, approx. 60 part-time conservation wardens, and all Bureau of Law Enforcement personnel in order to obtain compliance with hunting, fishing, and environmental regulations. In addition, the director administers the four recreational education programs [Boat, Snowmobile, ATV, and Hunting] to ensure the safety of the public and recreational users; administers the homeland security program; administers the invasive species/water guard program; administers the statewide environmental enforcement (EE) program including both criminal and civil investigations and litigation; and meets department management and legislative goals. Directs and supervises annually the hiring, training, and assignments of all Law Enforcement personnel. Works cooperatively and routinely with law enforcement executives from federal, state, county and local law enforcement agencies to coordinate a mutual enforcement response to special enforcement issues; maintains liaison with the Division of Emergency Government to ensure law enforcement and Department-wide emergency response capabilities, and routinely coordinates activities with enforcement agencies in other states and provinces as well as prosecutors in the Attorney General's office and United States Attorney's office, especially with regard to criminal environmental enforcement cases and joint federal-state resource cases. Apply today
- Applicants must be at least 21 years of age, and be currently certified by the Wisconsin Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board as a Law Enforcement Officer, or certified as a law enforcement officer in another state.
- Upon and throughout employment, the selected candidate must possess and maintain law enforcement certification and DNR Conservation Warden credentials.
- The selected candidate must also possess and maintain a valid Wisconsin driver’s license that meets Risk Management standards.
- Additionally, must have NO unpardoned felony or domestic violence convictions and be in excellent health; free from any physical, emotional or mental condition which might adversely affect performance.
- Applicants may be required to successfully complete a drug screen, physical fitness test, swim test, psychological assessment, medical exam, vision and hearing test, and a background investigation.
- Training requirements will be based on qualifications and experience. A written training plan will be provided at the time of the conditional offer of employment.
- Successful candidates will be required to reside within 30 miles of his/her assigned office at 101 S. Webster Street, Madison, WI 53707.
- Age: 21
- Education: 60 credits
- Experience: preferred
- The well-qualified candidate will possess at least a Bachelor of Science in Criminal Justice, Business, Public Administration, or a related major.
- This position requires knowledge of law enforcement and its application to natural resources and environmental protection; supervisory techniques and effective practices/principles.
- Skill to effectively develop and manage technical, lengthy and complex investigations; to read and understand legal, technical, lengthy and complex documents which includes effective communication including public participation and presentation skills; with computer-based systems for information management and exchange; to write and analyze complex written documents; to effectively reach understanding and agreements with a broad range of people internally and externally.
- Ability to build and utilize relationships and partnerships to achieve goals; to make timely, well reasoned decisions by integrating information and perspectives from colleagues; to plan and solve problems.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!