Registered Nurse (2012184)
Ada County Sheriff's Office - Boise, Idaho
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $10.00 hourly
- Provides general health care to inmates in detention.
- Administers treatments and medicines to patients as prescribed and supervised by the Medical Authority.
- Assists physician and mid-level providers at sick call in performing examinations, taking histories, following up on all orders given, and setting up medications.
- Maintains treatment records, making note of all medications given, doctor visits and related activities.
- Monitors, stores and controls medications and medical supplies according to established procedures.
- Schedules hospital/clinic appointments when appropriate
- Provides coordination of care duties with Community Health Services to promote inmate continuity of care.
- Observes the physical condition and behavior of inmates to insure maximum health care is provided.
- Establishes procedures to eliminate the spread of contagious diseases to promote infection control.
- Coordinates dental activities to include inmate dental history forms, dental appointments and follow up of dental orders and care needed.
- Prepares for sick call by screening kites sent by inmates, and assessing problems, pulls charts or makes new charts, and lists those who need to be seen by the physician, psychologist and mid-level providers.
- Reviews all medical intake information and assesses who needs to be seen sooner than routine sick call.
- Prepares medication renewal orders for the physician and mid-level providers to sign.
- Schedules inmates with mental problems to see the psychologist and prepares necessary records.
- Coordinates orders from the physician's assistant and the physician with the pharmacist.
- Coordinates special medical and transport orders with the security and dietary staff.
- Provides educational sessions to clients and staff on medically related issues.
- Participates in medical staff meetings, prepares packets of information.
- Conducts infection control inspections and prepares report of inspection on a monthly basis.
- Updates medical/nursing personnel credentials information.
- Participates in yearly disaster planning drill with security staff.
- Maintains current inventory of supplies for medical staff needs and emergency kits for security staff needs.
- Performs related work and other duties as assigned.
- Graduation from an accredited School of Nursing as a Registered Nurse
- One year of registered nursing experience in a public/community health setting such as a detention center, diagnostic center or mental hospital, accredited hospital, or equivalent experience in the community or public health.
- Knowledge of professional nursing principles, procedures and practices.
- Knowledge of nursing equipment and supplies.
- Knowledge of laws regulating narcotics, medications and patients' rights of consent.
- Ability to make accurate assessment of patients’ condition.
- Ability to exercise tact, diplomacy and patience.
- Ability to observe and understand physical conditions and behavior.
- Ability to exercise judgment.
- Ability to initiate needed treatment.
- Ability to communicate orally to groups and have good writing skills.
- Ability to maintain confidential materials and medical records.
- This position requires shift work.
- The incumbent must maintain a current license to practice in the State of Idaho as a Registered Nurse and adhere to the Nursing Code of Ethics.
- Must maintain active CPR/BLS certification. Must pass an oral interview, polygraph exam, and background investigation prior to being hired.
- Work is performed in a health services facility at the Ada County Jail.
- Requires frequent sitting, bending, stooping, kneeling, squatting, and twisting from the waist.
- Frequent need to communicate clearly in noisy surroundings and communicate over the telephone.
- May be required to lift up to 20 lbs.
- Requires sufficient personal mobility and physical reflexes, which permits the employee to function in a medical office environment to accomplish tasks and perform the essential functions of the position.
- Age: 18
- Education: Associates
- Experience: 1-2 years