Walton County Sheriff's Office - DeFuniak Springs, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $33,588.00 annual
The Walton County Sheriff’s Office is actively seeking a Florida Certified Law Enforcement Deputy Sheriff/Pilot. Walton County, located in the Florida Panhandle, stretches from the Alabama State Line to the Gulf of Mexico and encompass 1,037 square miles.
With 26 miles of sugar-white beaches, 16 unique beach neighborhoods (such as Sandestin, Seaside and Rosemary Beach), the magnificent turquoise of the Gulf of Mexico, salt- and fresh-water sport fishing opportunities, rare coastal dune lakes, Choctawhatchee Bay, maritime forests, windswept sand dunes, historic downtown DeFuniak Springs (with one of 2 naturally occurring perfectly round lakes in the world), Florida’s Highest Point, biking/walking trails, shopping, dining and a small town atmosphere, Walton County is sure to please!
Out of Florida’s 67 counties, Walton County is the 41st most populated county in the State of Florida. Walton County Sheriff’s Office employs 170 sworn and 70 non-sworn dedicated men and women who serve and protect its 55,043 permanent residents and over two million visitors each year.
The Walton County Sheriff’s Office Aviation Unit consists of two (2) Bell OH-58 helicopters which are flown by two (2) pilots and three (3) flight officers. The helicopters are upgraded and outfitted with the latest in thermal imaging technology, Garmin GPS, Avelex moving map systems, forward looking infra-red (FLIR) systems, and many other features which allow the pilot and tactical flight officer to safely complete missions.
The Aviation Unit is not a full-time active unit and is on a call-out only basis. When not flying missions or training, the unit members are assigned to other specialty units within the Walton County Sheriff’s Office. Unit missions include: aerial support, reconnaissance, search and rescue, fugitive apprehension, domestic marijuana eradication and disaster/emergency management assessments.
The commitment, dedication, and diligence of unit members make the Aviation Unit an essential and integral part of this agency and help keep the citizens and visitors of Walton County safe. The Unit also proudly serves as a Region 1 Domestic Security Task Force Response Team.
- $33,588.00 - $58,000.00 (Base Salary)
- Education Incentive Pay
- Fitness Incentive Pay
- Additional Assignment/Special Team Pay
- Paid Medical Insurance
- Paid Life insurance
- Paid Disability Insurance
- Optional Low Cost Dental and Vision Insurance
- Annual Leave (8 hours per month)
- Paid Sick Leave (8 hours per month)
- Paid Holidays (11 per year)
- Florida Retirement System (Special Risk)
- Uniforms/Equipment Provided
- Unlimited Training Opportunities
- Career Development Opportunities
- Free On-Site Fitness Facilities with 24 hour/day access
- Free Crossfit Sessions with Trained Instructors
- College Tuition Reimbursement
- Direct Deposit
- Age: 21
- Education: - See Additional Requirements (below)
- Experience: - See Additional Requirements (below)
- State of Florida Certified Law Enforcement Officer (completed CJSTC recognized law enforcement academy or equivalency of training program)
- FAA Commercial Pilot Certificate
- FAA Rotorcraft/Helicopter Rating
- FAA Instrument Rating (Preferred)
- FAA Bi-Annual Flight Review in Bell 206 or OH-58
- FAA Class II Medical Certificate
- 500 Hours Flight Experience as Pilot in Command and Turbine Engine Time
- 50 Hours Experience with Night Vision Goggles (NVG)
- United States Citizen
- 21+ Years of Age
- Valid Florida driver’s License and Acceptable Driving Record
If you possess these qualifications and share our Commitment to Excellence, we encourage you to apply to join our team!TO APPLY
To be considered for this position, applicants must submit a Walton County Sheriff’s Office Law Enforcement Application. Applications and instructions are available on-line via the Agency’s website:http://www.waltonso.org. Applicants may call the Human Resources Office at 850-892-8186 for assistance.HIRING PROCESS
It is the goal of the Walton County Sheriff's Office to recruit the best qualified individuals who meet our high standards and our commitment to excellence. At a minimum, applicants who are selected to participate in the new hire process will be required to successfully complete:
- Background Investigation which includes but is not limited to: criminal check, driving check, credit check, previous employment check
- Test of Adult Basic Education, Map Reading and Typing (CritiCall)
- Physical Agility Test (PAT)
- Polygraph Examination
- Panel Interview
- Drug Screen including nicotine panel
- Oral Review Board
- Psychological Evaluation
- Physical Examination including drug screen, hearing, vision, EKG and TB test
- The Walton County Sheriff’s Department is an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Drug Free Workplace.
- If you need an accommodation to participate in the application/selection process because of a disability in order, please notify Human Resources in advance.
- Florida residents seeking Veteran preference must complete the Veterans Preference portion of the application and submit a DD214.