Police Officer - Full Time
Sykesville Police Department - Sykesville, Maryland
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $37,274.00 annual
- Conducts assigned patrols, whether on foot or by vehicle, throughout the Town for the purpose of preventing, detecting or responding to criminal acts.
- Answers calls from citizens for assistance or protection of their life and property.
- Conducts investigations and gathers evidence in cooperation with other law enforcement personnel and the State's Attorney's Office in connection with incidents of criminal activities.
- Makes arrests of persons charged or suspected of criminal activities and does so in a manner that protects the rights of the accused, the rights and safety of the general public as well as the safety of themselves and other Officers.
- Detects violations of traffic regulations, and issues warnings and citations as necessary to insure the safety of the public and the free flow of movement on public ways.
- Responds to reports of traffic accidents, insuring the proper assistance is obtained for injured individuals and that the causes are investigated and issue appropriate citations.
- Makes inspections of assigned vehicle and equipment daily and reports any defects.
- Maintains personal equipment in proper order.
- Assists in crime prevention efforts as directed.
- Performs various duties and tasks related to special assignments as necessary.
- Performs other related duties.
- Age: At least 21 years of age
- Education: High School Diploma or G.E.D.
- Experience: .
- Must be currently certified as a police officer by the Maryland Police Training Commission; OR
- Successfully graduated from a Maryland Police Training Commission approved academy with-in the previous two years; OR
- Retired and/or Resigned from a Maryland Police Agency while in good standing with-in the previous three years and be eligible for immediate re-certification.
- Must have reached 21 years of age
- Must possess a high school diploma or a GED equivalent (higher degree preferred)
- Must possess a valid driver’s license from your state of residency
- Must submit to an oral interview
- Must successfully complete a thorough background investigation to include but not limited to a credit check, criminal history check, fingerprint check, work history check and more.
- Must have never committed, been involved in or been convicted of a felony or serious misdemeanor
- Must be certified physically fit to perform the duties of a police officer
- Must be certified through a licensed mental health care professional to determine whether the candidate is emotionally and mentally fit to perform the duties of a police officer
- Must have vision which is correctable to 20/20, not to exceed 20/100 uncorrected, or must use extended wear contact lenses
- Must not be color blind
- Must be willing to submit to a polygraph examination and drug screen as part of the background investigation
- Must meet the prior drug usage policy as mandated by the State of Maryland Police Training Commission.
- Must be able to successfully gain compliance of all other departmental policies, state laws, and regulations.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!