Law Enforcement Deputy Trainee
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office - Tampa, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $17.23 hourly
Job Description Major Duties (Not limited to the following):
- Patrolling assigned areas to detect and monitor possible criminal activity and interrogate suspicious persons.
- Responding to emergency calls to provide assistance.
- Investigating incidents for civil or criminal law violations.
- Apprehending and arresting suspected law violators to ensure public safety.
- Preparing and preserving evidence in accordance with directives to maintain chain of custody.
- Testifying in court to provide an accurate account of investigation findings.
- Controlling activities at traffic accident scenes by assisting victims or maintaining traffic flow.
- Enforcing traffic laws by observing violations and issuing citations.
- Providing information and assistance to the public.
- Preparing and submits daily activity reports in accordance with standard operating procedures (SOP) and directives.
- Transporting prisoners to court, medical or prison facilities.
- Maintaining patrol car, weapons and other law enforcement equipment to insure operational readiness.
- Performing other related duties as required.
NOTE: All candidates will attend the Sheriff's Orientation Training (SOT) and law enforcement academy. The training consists of a two week Sheriff's Orientation Training (S.O.T.), a six month academy and 9 weeks of module training. The Sheriff's Office will provide all books, materials, and uniforms (excluding footwear). Those selected for hire will receive $17.23 per hour (40 hour work week) and full benefits during this training period. After this training is completed the recruit is certified and the salary increases to $44,881.20 per year as a certified law enforcement deputy.
- Age: 21
- Education: 60 credit hours from an accredited college or university
- Experience: Three years of Active Duty military or Three years Full-time Law Enforcement
Desired Skills & Experience Minimum Qualifications:
- Be 21 years of age or older.
- Be a United States Citizen.
- 60 semester hours / 90 quarter hours of study or equivalent Associates Degree from an accredited college, university, community collegeOR
- Three (3) years active duty U.S. Military serviceOR
- Three (3) years experience as a law enforcement officer (NOTE: All candidates will be required to attend all basic training even if you are pre-certified).
- Three (3) years service as a certified Detention Deputy or Reserve I or II Deputy with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office.
- Must possess a valid driver's license at the time of application and a valid Florida driver's license at time of appointment.NOTE: YOUR DRIVING HISTORY WILL BE THOROUGHLY REVIEWED AND MAY BE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION.
- Must possess a certified copy of a Birth Certificate.
- Must possess a Social Security card.
- Must complete the prescribed Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA).
- Provide a copy of military discharge, DD-214 (if applicable).
- May not have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Must pass prescribed physical examination.
- Applicant's vision must meet Florida Drivers License requirements.
- Cannot have tattoos that are visible to the public while wearing the standard uniform of the day or Class A uniform (long sleeve).
- Must not have used any illegal drugs within 36 months of making application or after the age of 30.
- Must be of good moral character.
- No felony convictions, arrests or other law enforcement interaction involving perjury, false statements, domestic violence or criminal traffic offenses will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- Will undergo criminal records check which includes fingerprints.
- Must be six (6) months tobacco free at the time of application.
- Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation and polygraph examination.
- At the time of appointment, must live in Hillsborough, Pasco, Pinellas, Polk or Manatee County.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!