Detention Deputy Trainee
Hillsborough County Sheriff's Office - Tampa, Florida
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $17.23 hourly
Major Duties (Not limited to the following):
- Providing direct and remote supervision of inmates within housing and other areas of a jail, a courthouse complex, or secure perimeter as assigned to maintain a safe and secure environment.
- Conducting frequent security checks for evidence of unauthorized activities and infractions of rules, responds to situations, and documents accordingly.
- Receiving and processes inmates from officers and the courts, maintains inmates' property and directs inmates throughout the intake process.
- Maintaining security and custody of volatile and violent inmates.
- Observing conduct and behavior of inmates, responding to and controls emergency situations, and using appropriate levels of force to control combative, volatile, or hostile offenders.
- Scheduling, supervising and canceling inmate visitations.
- Supervising the dispensing of food in a timely fashion to inmates, ensuring all health and safety regulations are complied with.
- Supervising inmates and trustee-inmates work crews.
- Conducting metal and x-ray detection of individuals and materials before entering facilities, performing necessary searches for weapons and contraband, and completing reports.
- Inspecting cells, housing areas, locks, windows, grills, doors, gates and perimeters of buildings and grounds for security purposes.
- Transporting inmates to other facilities as required.
- Running daily reports as required.
- Entering information into a database to capture daily activities.
- Communicating with the public.
- Operating a master control center as required.
- Performing other related duties as required.
NOTE: All candidates will attend the Sheriff's Orientation Training (SOT) and detention academy. The training consists of a two week Sheriff's Orientation Training (S.O.T.), a four month academy and 9 weeks of module training. The Sheriff's Office will provide all books, materials, and uniforms (excluding footwear). Those selected for hire will receive $17.23 per hour (40 hour work week) and full benefits during this training period. After this training is completed the recruit is certified and the salary increases to $44,335.20 per year as a Certified Detention Deputy. For more information visit www.joinhcso.com
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: None
Desired Skills & Experience Minimum Qualifications:
- Be 21 years of age or older
- A United States Citizen
- High School Diploma or GED
- Must possess a valid driver's license at the time of application and a valid Florida driver's license at time of appointment.NOTE: YOUR DRIVING HISTORY WILL BE THOROUGHLY REVIEWED AND MAY BE GROUNDS FOR DISQUALIFICATION.
- Must possess a certified copy of a Birth Certificate.
- Must possess a Social Security card.
- Must complete the prescribed Physical Abilities Assessment (PAA).
- Provide a copy of military discharge, DD-214 (if applicable).
- May not have received a dishonorable discharge from any of the Armed Forces of the United States.
- Must pass prescribed physical examination.
- Applicant's vision must meet Florida Drivers License requirements.
- Cannot have tattoos that are visible to the public while wearing the standard uniform of the day or Class A uniform (long sleeve).
- Must not have used any illegal drugs within 36 months of making application or after the age of 30.
- Must be of good moral character.
- No felony convictions, arrests or other law enforcement interaction involving perjury, false statements, domestic violence or criminal traffic offenses will be thoroughly reviewed and may be grounds for disqualification.
- Will undergo criminal records check which includes fingerprints.
- Must be six (6) months tobacco free at the time of application.
- Must successfully pass an extensive background investigation and polygraph examination.