COLORADO STATE PATROL INTERN
Colorado State Patrol - Golden, Colorado
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $4,484.00 monthly
- Academy Graduate:
- $5,143.00 monthly
A State Patrol Intern (cadet) trains to patrol highways ensuring public safety by enforcing all state and federal laws pertaining to the traffic network. A cadet will also train to analyze trends and statistics in order to determine the appropriate enforcement process to be used in accomplishing task goals. Some of the duties and activities that are consistent with becoming a cadet are listed as follows: A Colorado State Patrol Cadet trains, assists and learns to:
- Investigate traffic accidents, auto thefts, livestock thefts, drug trafficking, and citizen complaints.
- Determine whether civil or criminal laws have been violated and learns the appropriate enforcement process.
- Write reports mandated by Patrol policy and state and federal laws that document enforcement and investigative activities.
- Develop case files for prosecution.
- Testify at hearings and trials.
- Respond in emergency situations involving, but not limited to: lives in jeopardy; assisting other agencies; disaster mobilization and crowd control.A cadet learns to formulate action plans that anticipate continuously changing circumstances and how to resolve emergencies.
- Attends training and certification courses in technical law enforcement skills including, but not limited to: firearms, first aid/CPR; driving; use of force; arrest control; and physical agility and performs other duties as assigned.
- Age: 21 years old at start of academy
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: None required
- Applicants must be age 20 and 6 months to apply and be at least 21 years of age at the start of the next scheduled academy class. DO NOT APPLY UNLESS YOU MEET THE MINIMUM AGE REQUIREMENT OF 20 YEARS AND 6 MONTHS.
- Applicants must have a high school diploma or GED at time of application.
- Applicants are not required to be a US Citizen to apply, however, they must have documentation that allows them to live and work in the United States according to the Department of Homeland Security, US Citizenship and Immigration Services.
- Applicants must have a current and valid State of Colorado Driver’s License at the start of the academy.
- Applicants must be able to effectively communicate fluently in English verbally and in writing.
- Applicants must meet the standards of the Colorado State Patrol Drug-free Workplace Policy including passing a pre-employment Drug Screen. (You may view the Drug-free Workplace Policy at the CSP website at www.csp.state.co.us).
- Applicants must be available to work 24/7 as needed. This includes weekends, holidays, rotating shifts, and must be able to work in all weather conditions.
- Applicants must be willing to be fingerprinted and must be able to pass a risk assessment profile, extensive background investigation, psychological examination, medical/physical, multiple physical fitness/agility tests, and a pre-employment polygraph.
- The background investigation is based on the following criteria, including but not limited to: Driving history, criminal behavior/history, alcohol use/behavior, drug use/behavior, and integrity.
- Vision must be unimpaired or correctable to 20/20 and must possess normal color vision, depth perception, and night vision, near acuity, far acuity, accommodation and field of vision including peripheral.
- Applicants must be able to hear and understand voice and radio communication unaided.
- Applicants must be able to meet and maintain the Colorado State Patrol grooming standards upon employment; at time of appointment, the grooming standards will be provided to you.