Police Officer - Trainee
City of Wichita Falls - Wichita Falls, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $36,242.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $42,453.00 annual
The purpose of this position is to receive training and instruction to be able to enforce federal, state and local laws and provide protection to citizens. This is accomplished by attending classes, completing physical training, completing firearms training, gaining knowledge of equipment, materials and supplies, observing professional police officer duties, and attending police and law enforcement events. Other duties include expanding the knowledge of related law enforcement tasks and activities. Essential Functions Include:
- Qualifies for certification as a State of Texas police officer by attending and participating in a prescribed course of physical training, classroom instruction and field exercises, successfully completing classroom training activities, and passing written exams.
- Completes tasks by participating in independent study, attending classroom instruction, developing skills, learning laws, rules and regulations, and gaining skills which may include those in criminal investigation, interviewing, interrogation, family crisis, community relations, report writing, and first aid.
- Fulfills classroom and practical instruction requirements by taking part in self-defense training, physical restraint drills, emergency driving tasks, search and seizure drills, and instruction in the use and care of firearms.
- Successfully completes testing requirements by taking written tests on classroom instruction and study materials and undergoing performance testing based on work simulation exercises.
- Assists with the performance of police duties under the immediate guidance of a superior officer by conveying information to the public, advising citizens of available services, providing support, assisting with the understanding of local, state and federal laws, and directing citizens to legal services.
As a Civil Service Agency, all positions open on the WFPD are filled from a list generated by an Entrance Exam. The Entrance Exam is a written test that rates an applicant's reading and writing ability. Following the written test, a Physical Fitness Test and a Video Assessment are given to assess the applicants physical and behavioral skills. The next entrance test for the position of Police Officer Trainee with the Wichita Falls Police Department is scheduled for 0800 hours on September 07, 2013. Testing will take place at Wichita Falls High School located at 2149 Avenue H, Wichita Falls TX, 76309. The physical agility text immediately follows the written test. The Wichita Falls Police Department is a family of professionals who are committed to the safety and security of the citizens and visitors in this fine city. Employment with the City Wichita Falls Police Department is more than just a job; the department provides a fulfilling, life-long career with a competitive salary and benefits package as well as excellent career advancement. The Recruiting Division is proud to be able to offer complete details about the application process, position requirements, training academy and benefits offered by the City of Wichita Falls. A career in law enforcement with the WFPD is a career of significant responsibility, community involvement, personal pride, continuing education and training and excitement. The Wichita Falls Police Academy is 24 weeks of exceptional classroom and hands-on training taught by seasoned Wichita Falls Police Officers who are the best at what they do. Scenario based training is used throughout the academy allowing trainees to experience a vast array of "real life" scenarios in a controlled environment that prepare them for the career that lies ahead. Upon graduation new officers enter the Field Training Program where they ride with a Field Training Officer for 16 weeks as they gradually take on more police duties.
- Age: At least 21 but not more than 44
- Education: HS Diploma + 12 College Credit Hours
- Experience: None
More information can be found at www.wfpd.net on the Training Section page of the Wichita Falls Police Department website.