Officer Candidate (Deputy Sheriff)
Spokane County Sheriff's Office - Spokane, Washington
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $3,687.00 monthly
- Academy Graduate:
- $4,033.00 monthly
- $4,457.00 monthly
- Top Pay:
- $5,443.00 monthly
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES:
- (Includes but is not limited to the following): Patrol assigned area in patrol car (may also use helicopter, motorcycle, water craft); cite law violators. Make security checks of businesses and industrial districts. Investigate and render assistance at auto accidents. Maintain surveillance of public gatherings as requested.
- Answer radio calls for emergency assistance and law enforcement including crimes of violence, unruly crowds, auto accidents, child neglect, thefts/frauds, vandalism, and all other misdemeanors and felonies.
- Take necessary steps to restore the peace, and renders first aid and other emergency assistance; conducts initial investigation.
- Serve warrants, make arrests, and transport criminals. Administer tests for intoxication. Testify in court as arresting officer. Serve civil processes and confiscate property by court order.
- Interview witnesses, suspects, complainants and victims in crime situations; arrest suspects and transport to jail for incarceration; compose and submit written reports. Testify in court or at hearings.
- Subdue or restrain persons committing or believed to be about to commit acts of violence according to the urgency of the need in the judgment of the senior officer present.
- Render first aid, assist the public, deliver emergency messages, provide escort services, control crowds, intervene in crises, mediate civil complaints, gather intelligence, serve warrants, serve subpoenas, writs and other civil and legal papers, process extraditions and control vicious animals.
NOTE: Resumes are not accepted in lieu of our complete application packet. Application and further information are available on the Sheriff's website: www.spokanecounty.org/sheriff//content.aspx?c=2066 SALARY: $3687.02/mo. + benefits TEST DATE: September 13, 2013 PHYSICAL ABILITY TEST: October 3, 2013 APPLICATION PACKETS Submit the following documents when filing:
- Civil Service Application packet Sealed official high school/GED and college transcripts (if applicable). If unable to submit sealed transcripts at time of application, you must provide proof that they have been ordered.
- Application for Veteran’s Preference and DD-214 (copy), if applicable (See RCW 41.04.010 as to how Veteran’s Preference is applied).
- Current driver’s license (copy).
- Birth certificate (copy of state issued-not hospital issued).
- Social security card (copy).
- Non-refundable $15.00 processing fee (check or money order payable to SCCSC; no cash will be accepted).
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: Entry-level
NOTE: This is a union position and, as such, as a condition of employment, the selected individual is required to join. Physical Ability Test: All applicants who pass the written exam will be required to qualify on the WA State Basic Law Enforcement Academy physical ability test on October 3, 2013. Grip strength of 90 lbs strong hand/80 lbs lesser hand is required and will be tested.
- United States citizen, who can read and write the English language. Candidates 20 years of age may apply but must be 21 before expiration of the list (one year).
- High school graduate or equivalent (GED).
- Vision at least 20/100 correctable to 20/20 or 20/30 in the lesser eye. No color vision deficiencies. Normal hearing in voice tones from 500 to 2000 Hz.
- Applicant must qualify through background review which includes integrity interview and oral boards. Upon conditional offer of appointment, all applicants shall be subject to polygraph, medical and psychological evaluation.
- Must have and retain valid driver’s license.
Spokane County Civil Service