Entry Level Police Officer
North Las Vegas Police Department - North Las Vegas, Nevada
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $51,307.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $84,571.00 annual
NORTH LAS VEGAS POLICE DEPARTMENT 1301 E. LAKE MEAD BLVD. NORTH LAS VEGAS, NEVADA 89030 www.cityofnorthlasvegas.com Updated: July 30, 2013 Classification: Entry Level Police Officer The City of North Las Vegas is hiring for entry level Police Officer. All testing through National Testing Network (NTN) must be completed by August 31, 2013. The City requires the candidate PHQ. You can access the questionnaire through your NTN candidate account. The PHQ must be completed by the closing date or you may not be considered further in the process. Salary Information: $51,307 - $84,571 Benefit Information: The City's comprehensive benefit package includes
North Las Vegas is a member of the Public Employee Retirement System (PERS) and the City pays 100% of the employee's contribution to the PERS retirement plan. As a result, employees do not pay any Social Security tax but do have a Medicare deduction. The State of Nevada does not have a state income tax. Department Information: The North Las Vegas Police Department's mission is to encourage and engage the community to work as one in order to provide a safe, secure, and enjoyable community. This is accomplished by protecting lives and property; maintaining social order by enforcing federal, state, and local laws; working in a collaborative effort with the community to identify problems and disorder; and involving the community in the search for solutions. The Police Department is committed to having a positive impact in the City of North Las Vegas by reducing crime, reducing the fear of crime and enhancing the quality of life in the community. The Department has three commands, which are divided in seventeen divisions. The Department is staffed by a total of 436 full time employees (270 Commissioned Police, 41 Commissioned Corrections and 125 Civilians). City Information: The City of North Las Vegas is a full-service municipality, providing recreational amenities, police and fire protection and water service. It operates under a Council-Manager form of government, comprised of a Mayor and four Council members. The city of North Las Vegas stretches across the northern rim of Las Vegas Valley. The City, which was incorporated in 1946, encompasses 98.4 square-miles within Clark County in Southern Nevada. Since 2000, the City's population has grown by 91.3 percent, making it home to about 221,500 residents. North Las Vegas is the third-largest city in Nevada. The City embraces its' diversity, living up to its' motto of being "Your Community of Choice." For FY 2013, North Las Vegas has a total budget of $481.5 million. The general fund budget is approximately $123.3 million. Proprietary Funds (includes Enterprise & Internal Services Funds) are $140.0 million. The Capital Improvement Plan budget for FY 2013-2017 is approximately $294.8 million. Population: 229,224
- City paid Retirement Plan (Nevada PERS)
- City paid Medical/Dental/Vision (Employee and dependent coverage)
- City paid Life Insurance (Plus limited dependent coverage)
- A four day, forty hour work-week
- Thirteen paid holidays
- Bilingual proficiency compensation, tuition assistance, and education incentive pay
- Annual and Sick leave benefits
- Paid academy training, uniform allowance, supplied uniforms and certain equipment
- Defered Compensation Plan (457)
- Flexible Spending Account (125c)
To apply and sign up for pre-employment testing (Frontline National), go to www.nationaltestingnetwork.com and click on LAW ENFORCEMENT JOBS. Select the department and read over all the department information and job requirements. If qualified, select a testing location and a time and date for testing on the website calendar. For questions concerning the testing process, please click on the NTN Support link on the website. For updates and new job announcements, “”Like” National Testing Network on Facebook.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School Grad./GED
- Experience: Entry
- Age: 21
- Be a US Citizen
- Obtained High School Deploma/GED
- Have a valid NEVADA State Driver's License
- Ability to Read/Speak English
- Visual Acuity: Vision 20/20 in best eye and not worse than 20/30 in worse eye with/without correction. If correction is necessary, uncorrected vision no worse than 20/100 in each eye.
- Color Vision: Must recognize 4/6 plates on litmus color vision test.
- Hearing: Average hearing 1000/2000/3000 HZ must not exceed 25 db. No single reading to exceed 35 db at 500/1000/2000/3000/4000 HZ. A hearing aid can be accepted with a letter from an audiologist indicating proper fit and level of hearing correction in both ears.
Specific Disqualifiers/Behaviors: Felonies/Convictions
- Nevada P.O.S.T. (for Entry-Level: ability to obtain P.O.S.T. certification within established state time period)
- Must Possess a valid and current NV state driver's license at time of hire and maintain satisfactory motor vehicle record for duration of employment
- Ability to pass a job related medical examination, which will include a drug screen, and a psychological evaluation
- Must pass an extensive background check including a polygraph/CVSA examination. A record of repeated criminal misdemeanors and/or felony violations or other infractions of the law may be disqualifying
Driving Disqualifiers: Two or more DUI convictions In addition, the ideal candidate must have the ability to:
- Any felony conviction
- Any domestic violence conviction
- Gross misdemeanor and misdemeanor convictions will be reviewed on a case by case basis.
Employees must be neat and clean in their appearance in public, whether in or out of uniform. Therefore, applicants with visible tattoos, brandings, and/or body piercings in areas of the body which cannot be covered by the appropriate dress required of this position will be disqualified, if they are not removed by the date of their background interview. Such markings may not be concealed using make-up or bandages. Further, tattoos or brandings anywhere on the body that promote racism/discrimination, indecency, extremist or supremacist philosophies, lawlessness, or violence, or contain sexually explicitly material are prohibited. Applicants with gauged earlobes will also be disqualified if not corrected by their background interview.
- Learn and follow rules and regulations of the NLVPD and of pertinent federal, state, and local laws, regulations, and ordinances as applicable to the police officer function.
- Apply police science principles, practices,
- Make quick, sound and logical decisions in emergency situations and be able to work under strict discipline.
- Communicate clearly and concisely.
- Learn proper and correct care and use of firearms, camera, department radio, computers and other police related equipment.
- Bilingual (Spanish/English) proficiency desired but not required.
- Must meet City's medical standards and pass annual physical exam with an agency selected by the City and meet annual department standards within required time-frame.
- Must be able to work any shift or days of the week and work in a security type environment and manage stressful and potentially dangerous/difficult contact situations.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!