St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office - Leonardtown, Maryland
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $42,307.00 annual
JOB SUMMARY: Provide law enforcement services for St. Mary’s County in accordance with all applicable statutes and laws. DUTIES:
- Must be 21 years of age, possess a valid Maryland State Motor Vehicle License and be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must pass written entrance exam, physical agility test, polygraph, physical, psychological examination, drug screen and successfully pass extensive background investigation with favorable results.
- Weight must be in proportion to height, body frame and age.
- Vision must be correctable to 20/20.
- Must complete a 26-week Maryland Police Training Commission or be a certified Police Officer by the Maryland Police Training Commission.
- Must be able to work shift work including weekends and holidays.
- This position is designated essential personnel during inclement weather.
- Must maintain current certification of CPR/AED/FA.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Patrol assigned area and take appropriate action to preserve the peace.
- Respond to emergency calls.
- Enforce traffic regulations.
- Investigate suspicious conditions and complaints.
- Conduct interviews to obtain information from complainants and suspects
- Investigate crime scenes to include securing the scene, interviewing witnesses and collection of evidence.
- Arrest persons suspected of crimes according to prescribed procedures.
- Complete written factual reports.
- Testify in court proceedings as necessary.
- Execute search and arrest warrants.
- Maintain assigned equipment.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Government policies and procedures.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of the Office of the Sheriff policies and procedures.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of modern approved principles and practices of sworn law enforcement.
- Ability to use and maintain firearms and related police issued equipment.
- Ability to operate a motor vehicle under normal or emergency situations.
- Ability to effectively communicate with other staff and especially members of the public.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established federal, state and local laws.
- Ability to apply departmental policies to daily work problems.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently on tasks and maintain records.
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute complicated and continuing assignments accurately, with minimum instruction or review.
- Effective business English, grammar, legal terminology, and math skills.
Work demands occasional strenuous effort. For example, handling of moderately heavy boxes, moderately heavy tools, equipment, or materials of 30 to 60 pounds. This position requires the ability to run, climb, jump, lift, drag, crawl, carry, push and pull of objects. Must also have the ability to use bodily force; as well as respond to calls, both on foot and by motor vehicle, wearing of Personnel Protective Equipment/PPE, including but limited to Kevlar vest, gun belt and Gas/Protective mask. The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress which require a range of safety and other precautions; e.g., aggressive human behavior, extreme outdoor weather conditions, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled. Physical Training Requirements: Training academy Recruits will be subject to being taken down to the ground aggressively in the prone position and participate in playing the role of an officer and aggressor. Recruits will be exposed in the face with Oleoresin Capsicum/OC Spray. Recruits must also Demonstrate the following: Execute a jump and climb from a height of at least four (4) feet, must have the ability to run 1.5 miles with a distance of at least 300 yards at full speed, and have the ability to run up and down two flights of stairs as well as have the ability to demonstrate other various fitness requirements such as; push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups (males) and flex arm hang (females). COMPENSATION/BENEFITS:
- Hiring Salary: $42,307 annually. Salary offer for certified officers based on experience.
- FLSA: Non-Exempt
- St. Mary’s County Government offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability.
- We offer a 457 deferred compensation plan, employee assistance program, and education reimbursement.
- All employees are required to participate in the Sheriff’s Office Retirement Plan.
- Age: 21
- Education: High School or GED
- Experience: None required