St. Mary's County Sheriff's Office - Leonardtown, Maryland
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $39,728.00 annual
JOB SUMMARY: This is correctional work involving the custody and care of prisoners. DUTIES:
- Must be 18 years of age, possess a valid Maryland State Motor Vehicle License and be a U.S. Citizen.
- Must pass written entrance exam, physical agility test, polygraph, physical, psychological examination, drug screen and successfully pass extensive background investigation with favorable results.
- Weight must be in proportion to height, body frame and age.
- Vision must be correctable to 20/20.
- Must successfully complete the entrance level program for Correctional Officers within one year of appointment.
- Must be able to work shift work including weekends and holidays.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS, AND ABILITIES:
- Enforce policies and procedures pertaining to inmates, including supervision, inmate intake and discharge and related correctional administrative tasks.
- Maintain accurate official inmate counts.
- Inspect inmates' quarters and enforce standards of cleanliness, safety, sanitation and fire prevention.
- Ensure security of the facility to prevent escape including screening visitors and inspecting packages and other items brought or sent to the detention center.
- Search inmates and their property, living quarters and detention center facilities to detect pilferage and the possession of contraband.
- Supervise the distribution of meals to inmates and ensure that all utensils are accounted for and returned to the kitchen.
- Maintains records and prepares written and oral reports as required.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of St. Mary’s County Government policies and procedures.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of the Office of the Sheriff policies and procedures.
- Ability to gain thorough knowledge of modern correctional methods and objectives.
- Ability to use and care for security equipment, firearms and non-lethal weapons.
- Ability to effectively communicate with other staff and especially members of the public.
- Ability to make decisions in accordance with established federal, state and local laws.
- Ability to apply departmental policies to daily work problems.
- Ability to understand and follow complex oral and written instructions.
- Ability to work independently on tasks and maintain records.
- Ability to plan, organize, and execute complicated and continuing assignments accurately, with minimum instruction or review.
- Effective business English, grammar, legal terminology, and math skills.
PHYSICAL AND ENVIRONMENTAL CONDITIONS: Work demands occasional strenuous effort. For example, handling of moderate to heavy boxes, tools, equipment, or materials of 30 to 150 pounds and have the ability to evacuate people from dangerous conditions. The work environment involves high risks with exposure to potentially dangerous situations or unusual environmental stress which require a range of safety and other precautions; e.g., aggressive human behavior, extreme outdoor weather conditions, or similar situations where conditions cannot be controlled. This position requires the ability to run, climb, jump, lift, drag, crawl, carry, push and pull of objects and have the ability to use bodily force, wearing of Personnel Protective Equipment/PPE, including but limited to; Kevlar vest, gun belt and Gas/Protective mask. Physical Training Requirements: Training academy Recruits will be subject to being taken down to the ground aggressively in the prone position and participate in playing the role of an officer and aggressor. Recruits will be exposed in the face with Oleoresin Capsicum/OC Spray. Recruits must also Demonstrate the following: Execute a jump and climb from a height of at least four (4) feet, must have the ability to run 1.5 miles with a distance of at least 300 yards at full speed, and have the ability to run up and down two flights of stairs as well as have the ability to demonstrate other various fitness requirements; push-ups, sit-ups, pull-ups (males) and flex arm hang (females). COMPENSATION/BENEFITS: Hiring Salary: $39,728 annually. FLSA: Non-Exempt St. Mary’s County Government offers a complete benefits package including medical, dental, vision, life insurance and long-term disability. We offer a 457 deferred compensation plan, employee assistance program, and education reimbursement. All employees are required to participate in the Sheriff’s Office Retirement Plan.
- Age: 18
- Education: High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: None
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!