Shawnee Kansas Police Dept. - Shawnee, Kansas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $37,752.00 annual
The general purpose of this position is to affirmatively promote a feeling of community safety and security through the safe, efficient, effective and lawful performance of police duties and functions. Daily routines require taking calls for service, patrolling to deter and detect crime, investigating crimes and complaints, citing and arresting law violators, preparing and following up on reports and cases, protecting persons and property, and securing and protecting prisoners. When not responding to calls for service, the police officer is expected to use unassigned work time in an efficient manner by self-initiating work on those tasks identified by supervisory personnel as priorities for this job position.
- Police Officer I must be able to Understand the basic functions of City services.
- Work and relate well with others.
- Maintain the trust and confidence of peers, superiors, the Courts, and general citizenry.
- Have regular and predictable attendance.
- Work independent of direct supervision.
- Exercise rational judgment.
- Verbally communicate clearly using proper words and tone.
- Investigate, enforce, and uphold Federal, State, and Municipal laws.
- Understand and comply with operational policies, procedures, codes of conduct, standards, and orders.
- Ensure the general safety of the public.
- Prepare accurate and detailed police reports.
- Qualify with firearms and other offensive and defensive weapons.
- Perform other duties as assigned or requested.
- An employee of this classification performs duties related to public safety through enforcement of laws and ordinances, public education, and hazard correction.
- High school diploma or the equivalent.
- Minimum 21 years of age.
- Valid driver's license and an acceptable driving record.
- Successful completion of physical ability test, background investigation including a job fit assessment, polygraph examination, pre-employment physical and pre-employment drug screen.
- Successful completion of oral examination by Staff and Police Chief.
- Kansas residency not required.
- Age: 21
- Education: HS Diploma or GED, Military or College preferred
- Experience: Shawnee PD will train and pay while in the Academy
New Police Officers who are certified and have a minimum of one year of police patrol experience are eligible for a $2,000 bonus during their first year of employment. To qualify as a certified officer in Kansas, one must have graduated from a Kansas police academy or an academy in another state where the training standards are accepted by the Kansas Law Enforcement Training Center. Patrol experience refers to patrol only. Experience in corrections, with railroad police, or other non-patrol duties will not suffice. Automatic Exclusions Include:
- Automatic exclusions include more than three (3) no contest/convictions of moving violations in the last one (1) year period, a no contest/conviction of driving under the influence of alcohol within a one (1) year period from application date, and/or a no contest/conviction of driving under the influence of a controlled substance within a one (1) year period.
- Any illegal drug use within the past two years.