Police Officer-University of Houston-Clear Lake
University of Houston-Clear Lake - Houston, Texas
- Application Deadline:
The Police Officer position is responsible for general police work, for the protection of life, liberty and property, the enforcement of all laws of the State of Texas and the rules and regulations of the University. The detection of such violations, preservation of peace and public order, prevention and repression of crime, apprehension of violators of the law, and giving aid to those persons requiring assistance. The work involves an element of danger. Specific assignments are received from supervisory officers and are carried out in accordance with established rules and procedures. However, the employee normally acts without direct supervision while on patrol and must be able to use independent judgment in emergencies. Work is reviewed through written and oral reports and inspections.
ROTATING SHIFT WORK REQUIRED. The person in this position is expected to work ALL rotating shifts to include days, evenings, nights, weekends and holidays. An evening shift differential of $0.25 per hour and a night shift differential of $0.40 per hour will be applied as appropriate. jobs.uhcl.edu/postings/8007
- Preventative campus patrol, both inside buildings and outside, on foot and with vehicle. Includes traffic and parking enforcement.
- Responding to and documenting calls for service and recording criminal offense reports.
- Investigating criminal offenses reported to the police department.
- This includes interviewing complainants, witnesses, as well as suspects.
- Maintaining lost and found property/evidence collection, preservation, identification, storage, release and destruction.
- Assisting citizens through safety escorts and ancillary vehicle services.
- Committee assignments intended for department participatory management.
- Problem solving quality of life issues for campus community.
Please note testing is required for this position. Spelling, grammar, and math. Testing must be successfully completed before your application will receive further consideration. Please understand you will only have 3 attempts to successfully complete each of the required spelling, grammar, and math tests. You do not have to complete the tests consecutively. After 3 failed attempts you will be disqualified from the application process. Testing is done in the Office of Human Resources located in the Bayou Building B2537 from 8:00 am-3:30 pm Monday-Friday on a first-come, first-serve basis – no appointment is needed. Testing may take about 1 to 2 hours. Please arrive no later than 3:30 pm to begin testing. Please park in the Visitors Lot across the street from the front of the Bayou Building. HR will provide you a token to exit so that you do not have to pay for parking. jobs.uhcl.edu/postings/8007
- Age: : 21
- Education: : High school diploma or GED with 12 semester hours of college credit.
- Experience: : Certification from an accredited basic police officer school within the past two years or a current Peace Officer License issued by TCLEOSE.
Security sensitive position – preliminary background, criminal history and motor vehicle record checks required. Physical, drug screening, and psychological testing also required post job offer.
- Ability to understand and follow oral instructions, departmental and University policy, procedures, rules, regulations and the laws of the State of Texas.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, other law enforcement agencies and the public.
- Ability to analyze situations and adopt a quick, effective and reasonable course of action.
- Ability to learn the use and care of firearms and specialized equipment.
- Ability to observe situations, to report and record them daily, including writing narrative reports.
- Ability to display good skill in the use of a police vehicle and attached equipment.