University of California, Berkeley - Berkeley, California
- Application Deadline:
Police Lieutenant #16580 UC Berkeley - Main Campus Police Lieutenants provide leadership for major and/or multiple units within the police department and are responsible for managing, preparing, administering and directing all assigned personnel, resources and funds, for the purpose of meeting department objectives and goals. Lieutenants work under the general direction of, and report directly to, a Captain of Police. Lieutenants provide assistance to the Captain in the development and administration of department policy and procedure, managing department budget and staffing, carrying out hiring, termination and other human resources and disciplinary actions, serving as a public representative of the department and the University, providing necessary command and control in the absence of other ranking supervisors or managers, ensuring department compliance with law, regulation and policy, and other administrative duties or projects as assigned. The Police Lieutenant assumes responsibility for command of department resources and personnel in the absence of a ranking officer. Police Lieutenants may be called upon 24-hours a day to provide management for critical incidents including civil unrest, natural and man-made disasters, high-profile crimes or police actions and other significant department operations. Lieutenants must be able to fulfill all the essential duties of a sworn peace officer and to perform the functional role of lower ranks as required. Lieutenants are occasionally expected to attend off-site training and to provide mutual aid to other agencies or locations, based on the needs of the department. Qualifications:
First Review Date: September 11, 2013. This requisition will remain open until filled. For more information and to apply, visit apptrkr.com click on Job Listings, followed by External Applicants, and then search for job number 16580. EOE LI-CT1 jeid-9009b88f525944f5a5c126b0504b5b85
- Must meet all requirements for peace officers as established by law and the California Commission on Peace Officer Standards and Training, post.ca.gov.
- Possess a valid California Driver License.
- Complete a POST-certified Management Course within one year of appointment, or currently possess a valid POST Management certificate.
- Current UCPD Sergeant with at least two years of experience, be a current UCPD Lieutenant, or of higher rank (preferred).
- Possess significant experience performing all aspects of the role of police officer or sergeant in the Berkeley environment (preferred).
- Have earned a bachelor’s degree or an equivalent combination of education, training and experience (preferred).
- Possess valid California POST Advanced and Supervisory certificates (preferred).
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, training skills, problem solving skills and the ability to interact with a diverse community (preferred).
- Demonstrated ability to exercise sound judgment and take decisive action in critical situations (preferred).
- Thorough knowledge of law enforcement management theory and administrative standards (preferred).
- Ability to effectively manage a complex organization with multiple priorities and limited resources (preferred).
- Familiarity with budgeting and financial practices applicable to law enforcement in the University environment (preferred).
- Ability to use vehicles, computer systems, weapons and other technologies and tools employed by police agencies (preferred).
- Thorough understanding of modern policing issues, philosophies, practices, trends, laws, regulations, and policies as applied within the University environment (preferred).
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!