Garland Police Department - Garland, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $49,350.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $51,780.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $70,111.00 annual
- Respond to citizen calls for service
- Enforce criminal and traffic laws
- Reduce crime and fear of crime within the City of Garland.
For questions about the application, contact the City of Garland Human Resources Dept. at 972-205-2498. Persons who have served in the United States of America military, received an Honorable Discharge, and pass the Examination may have five (5) points added to their test score if candidate submits a legible copy of a United States of America government issued form documenting at least 180 days of active duty military service with an Honorable Discharge (i.e. DD 214-MEMBER 4 FORM). Documentation must be received or postmarked by Friday, October 11, 2013, at 5:00 p.m. (CST) for consideration. Copy of Honorable Discharge Form (i.e. DD 214-MEMBER 4 FORM) may be:
Academy Pay:Newly appointed Police Officer Recruits receive a starting annual salary of $49,350.00
- Mailed to the Human Resources Department, City of GarlandP.O. 469002Garland, Texas 75046-9002
- Delivered to the Human Resources Department, City of Garland200 North Fifth StreetGarland, Texas 75040
- Faxed to 972-205-2706
- Scanned and emailed to HRMail@garlandtx.gov
- Age: : 18-44
- Education: : 60 College hours
- Experience: : None required
Essential Job Functions:
Licenses & Certifications:
- Pro-active enforcement of all applicable criminal and traffic laws, including the issuance of citations.
- Respond to calls for service from citizens.
- Maintain high-visibility patrols.
- Education of public and citizen contacts.
- Prepare and complete all necessary reports and supplements.
- Attend state mandated and supplemental training each year.
- Testify in court concerning collection of evidence.
- Preserve and enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Garland, Texas, by following the City's guiding principles.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
Physical Tasks & Working Conditions: The incumbent works under a variety of unfavorable conditions including exposure to gunfire, harsh weather, poor or no lighting, exposure to hazardous chemicals and smoke, extremes in temperatures, all types of weather conditions, and electrical hazards, armed/dangerous persons, and communicable diseases. Minimum Education & Work Experience: In accordance with the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) minimum requirements:
- Must possess a Texas Class "C" drivers license
- Must be able to meet all minimum requirements under the Texas Commission on Law Enforcement (TCOLE) for enrollment in a law enforcement training program.
Education, prior police, or military experience requirements must be met prior to academy start date. Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Must be United States of America citizen at the time of application
- At least age 18 and not over the age of 44 at the time of exam, and not over age 44 at time of hire
- Must have either a High School Diploma or GED
- Must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements:
- 60 hours of college credit or an associate’s degree from an accredited college or university, with a minimum of a 2.0 GPA, or
- 2 years active United States of America military service with a Honorable discharge, or
- 2 years experience as full-time paid peace officer
- Communicate in the English language
- Must be able to pass all steps in the Garland Police Department hiring process: Written Civil Service exam, physical agility test, detailed personal history statement, thorough background investigation, polygraph examination, oral interview board, psychological examination, medical examination, drug screen, administrative review by the Chief of Police.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!