Elyria Police Officer-Entry Level
Elyria Police Department - Elyria, Ohio
- Application Deadline:
Essential Duties and Responsibilities Protects life by: Responding to calls for service and emergency assistance; rendering aid to the physically injured, handicapped and others requiring assistance, including but not limited to victims of accidents, criminal incidents, natural disasters or other incidents; investigating safety hazards and taking action to correct potential problem areas, including road hazards, defects and environmental hazards. Preserves the peace by:
- Responding to calls for assistance involving altercations between people, including but not limited to domestic disturbances, fighting and neighborhood disputes, performing crowd and traffic control; enforcing state and city ordinances relating to keeping the peace; providing motorized, foot and bicycle patrol to residential and business areas to maintain community relations; practice problem solving techniques in support of the department's demographic policing, community policing and problem solving strategies.
- Investigates violations of state laws/city ordinances and arrests violators using degree of force necessary with state law and department policy. Enforces traffic laws to curtail violations.
- Secures crime scenes to identify and collect any physical evidence present, and obtains descriptions of suspects/vehicles involved in crimes or criminal activity.
- Prepares incident/accident reports, affidavits, citations, legal documents, memorandums, other job-related documents and prepares for court testimony.
- Operates police vehicles in routine and emergency situations.
- Participates in job-related training and courses to maintain skills, knowledge and abilities necessary to perform duties.
The Elyria Police Department is currently accepting applications for entry level police officer. To obtain an application packet you can visit: www.cityofelyria.org/department/police. The packet includes requirements, extra credit information, physical fitness information and pamphlet. If you can't print or open these documents you can pick up application packets at the following locations: Elyria Police Department 18 West Ave Elyria, OH 44035 Elyria City Hall 131 Court St Elyria, OH 44035 Pay Rates:
If you have any additional questions you may contact me. Sgt. Bill lantz Recruiter Elyria Police Department 18 West Ave Elyria, OH 44035 (440) 326-1342
- Class C Patrolman (1st year in service) $20.61 hourly $42,872.91 annually
- Class B Patrolman (2nd year in service) $23.03 hourly $47,913.85 annually
- Class A Patrolman (3 + years of service) $24.92 hourly $51,834.59 annually
- Age: : 21-35
- Education: : High School Diploma
- Experience: : None Required
- You must be a United States citizen.
- You must have a high school diploma or GED.
- You must be at least 21 years of age and not yet 35 years of age by date of written test.
- You must possess an unrestricted Ohio driver’s license (except for corrective lenses).
- You must agree to abide by the City of Elyria’s Civil Service Rules, Administrative Directives, and the Rules, Regulations, Policies, and Procedures of the Elyria Police Department.
- You must be able to read and write the English language.
TENTATIVE JOB OFFER:
- Physical Agility Examination
- Written Examination
- Oral Assessment Board
- Extensive Background Investigation
- C.V.S.A. Examination
- Drug Screening
- Psychological Examination
- Medical Examination