Certified Police Patrol Officer
Hampton Police Division - Hampton, Virginia
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $38,325.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $40,478.00 annual
- $40,478.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $67,368.00 annual
- Patrols an assigned district within the City of Hampton using a patrol car or on foot to prevent crime or disturbance of peace and arrest violators.
- Familiarizes self with housing, businesses and persons within the district.
- Notices suspicious persons and unusual conditions and makes preliminary investigations.
- Examines premises of unoccupied buildings and checks doors and windows for security.
- Reports hazards that endanger public safety such as malfunctioning traffic signals, damaged utility structures, etc.
- Acknowledges radio transmissions relaying citizens complaints and proceeds to location.
- Answers complaints from citizens such as domestic quarrels, fights, vandalism, etc., then takes necessary corrective action.
- Investigates missing persons and watches for runaways and truants.
- Watches for and makes recovery of lost and stolen property and vehicles.
- Disperses unruly crowds at public gatherings.
- Inspects public establishments requiring licenses and ensure compliance with relevant rules and regulations.
- Serves warrants and summons.
- Arrests violators for misdemeanors and felonies.
- Accompanies prisoners to headquarters or jail, and makes report of events leading to and surrounding arrest.
- Confers with Commonwealth Attorney to coordinate courtroom testimony.
- Appears in court as arresting officer.
- Investigates traffic accidents and renders first aid to injured.
- Directs and re routes traffic around accidents or other disruptions. Issues tickets to traffic violators.
- Checks abandoned vehicles and calls for tow truck.
- Provide, escort for funerals, parades and shipment of currency.
- Transports emergency blood vials from hospital to hospital.
- Provides public with general information on laws, ordinances, and services of the City and State.
- Provides directions to lost persons and motorists.
- Renders aid to persons locked out of home or vehicle.
- Ascertains information from citizens to aid in investigation of crime.
- May be assigned to various units within the Division including Crime Prevention, Training, Administration, Investigations, and Special Investigations Unit (SIU).
- Learns the purpose and operation of assigned unit. Assists senior officers in completion of unit's official duties and responsibilities.
- During an assigned shift, may maintain a limited caseload of investigations, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
- Must complete Field Training.
- Receives supervision through specific instructions and daily evaluations by a senior officer, usually a Corporal or Sergeant. This may involve an element of personal danger during the arrest of persons who violate city ordinances and state laws.
- May be rotated to other Patrol Officer positions within the Police Department.
- May be required to complete follow up investigations of criminal violations, and/or assignments in other units of the Police Division.
- Age: : must be at least twenty-one (21)
- Education: : Graduation from an accredited high school course of study or successful completion of a GED
- Experience: : Must be a current Va. DCJS Certified Police Officer
- Must be a current Va. DCJS Certified Police Officer. Graduation from an accredited high school course of study or successful completion of a GED
- College level course work in Police Science or related field of study preferred
- Ability to be courteous yet firm with the public
- Must be alert, and possess ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions
- Good skills of observation and memory
- Excellent moral character
- Be in good physical condition.
- Must pass City physical examination (to include a drug screen), background investigation (to include polygraph examination), physical agility examination, written test, and psychological testing
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia and must have a satisfactory driving record based on the City of Hampton's criteria.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!