Certified Police Patrol Officer
Hampton Police Division - Hampton, Virginia
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $38,325.00 annual
- Academy Graduate:
- $40,478.00 annual
- $40,478.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $67,368.00 annual
- Patrols an assigned district within the City of Hampton using a patrol car or on foot to prevent crime or disturbance of peace and arrest violators.
- Familiarizes self with housing, businesses and persons within the district.
- Notices suspicious persons and unusual conditions and makes preliminary investigations.
- Examines premises of unoccupied buildings and checks doors and windows for security.
- Reports hazards that endanger public safety such as malfunctioning traffic signals, damaged utility structures, etc.
- Acknowledges radio transmissions relaying citizens complaints and proceeds to location.
- Answers complaints from citizens such as domestic quarrels, fights, vandalism, etc., then takes necessary corrective action.
- Investigates missing persons and watches for runaways and truants.
- Watches for and makes recovery of lost and stolen property and vehicles.
- Disperses unruly crowds at public gatherings.
- Inspects public establishments requiring licenses and ensure compliance with relevant rules and regulations.
- Serves warrants and summons.
- Arrests violators for misdemeanors and felonies.
- Accompanies prisoners to headquarters or jail, and makes report of events leading to and surrounding arrest.
- Confers with Commonwealth Attorney to coordinate courtroom testimony.
- Appears in court as arresting officer.
- Investigates traffic accidents and renders first aid to injured.
- Directs and re routes traffic around accidents or other disruptions.
- Issues tickets to traffic violators. Checks abandoned vehicles and calls for tow truck.
- Provide, escort for funerals, parades and shipment of currency.
- Transports emergency blood vials from hospital to hospital.
- Provides public with general information on laws, ordinances, and services of the City and State.
- Provides directions to lost persons and motorists.
- Renders aid to persons locked out of home or vehicle.
- Ascertains information from citizens to aid in investigation of crime.
- May be assigned to various units within the Division including Crime Prevention, Training, Administration, Investigations, and Special Investigations Unit (SIU).
- Learns the purpose and operation of assigned unit.
- Assists senior officers in completion of unit's official duties and responsibilities.
- During an assigned shift, may maintain a limited caseload of investigations, as needed.
- Performs other related duties as required.
Apply: www.hampton.gov/hire Email: email@example.com Call: 757-727-6586 Must complete Field Training. Receives supervision through specific instructions and daily evaluations by a senior officer, usually a Corporal or Sergeant. This may involve an element of personal danger during the arrest of persons who violate city ordinances and state laws. May be rotated to other Patrol Officer positions within the Police Department. May be required to complete follow up investigations of criminal violations, and/or assignments in other units of the Police Division.
- Age: : must be at least twenty-one (21)
- Education: : Graduation from an accredited high school course of study or successful completion of a GED
- Experience: : Must be a current Va. DCJS Certified Police Officer
- Must be a current Va. DCJS Certified Police Officer.
- Graduation from an accredited high school course of study or successful completion of a GED
- College level course work in Police Science or related field of study preferred
- Ability to be courteous yet firm with the public
- Must be alert, and possess ability to understand and carry out complex oral and written instructions
- Good skills of observation and memory
- Excellent moral character
- Be in good physical condition.
- Must pass City physical examination (to include a drug screen), background investigation (to include polygraph examination), physical agility examination, written test, and psychological testing
- Must be at least twenty-one (21) years of age.
- Must possess a valid motor vehicle operator's license issued by the Commonwealth of Virginia and must have a satisfactory driving record based on the City of Hampton's criteria.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!