Amherst Police Officer
Amherst Police Department - Amherst, Massachusetts
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $40,682.00 annual
The Amherst Massachusetts Police Department is offering an entrance written examination on March 1, 2014 for the position of Amherst Police Officer.The written examination will be used to establish a hiring Eligibility List to fill anticipated vacancies through 2016. To be eligible to take the written examination candidates must register for the examination and pay the examination fee of $35.00 by February 14, 2014. For more information on the examination, the recruitment/hiring process and minimum qualification for the position of Police Officer go to www.amherstpd.org.
A patrolman assigned to the Operations Division shall be responsible for the efficient performance of all duties in conformance with the rules, regulations, policies, procedures and orders contained in all manuals issued by the Department. His/her mission shall consist of but is not necessarily limited to, the following general police responsibilities:
- Identify criminal offenders and criminal activity and where appropriate, apprehend offenders and participate in subsequent court proceedings.
- Reduce the opportunities for the commission of crime through preventive and directed patrols and crime prevention measures.
- Aid individuals who are in danger of physical harm.
- Protect constitutional guarantees.
- Facilitate the movement of people and activities.
- Assist those who cannot care for themselves.
- Resolve conflict.
- Identify problems that are potentially serious law enforcement or governmental problems.
- Create and maintain a feeling of security in the community.
- Promote and preserve civil order.
- Provide other services on an emergency basis.
- He/she shall be assigned to perform specific duties and responsibilities as required by the Chief of Police or his/her designee.
- Age: : 21
- Education: : High School Graduate or Equivalent
- Experience: : None
Successful candidates will meet the following requirements:
Desirable qualifications include:
- Ability to pass above examinations
- U. S. Citizen
- Never convicted of a felony
- Non-smoking (no use of tobacco products)
- High School graduate or equivalent
- Possession of/or ability to obtain and maintain a Massachusetts Drivers License
- Possession of/or ability to obtain and maintain License to Carry Firearm Class A
- Reside within 15 miles of the geographic limits of the Town of Amherst 1 year after appointment
- According to Massachusetts General Law, candidates accepted into a Massachusetts Police
- Academy must be at least 21 years of age. Those under 21 are not prohibited from taking the entrance exam however a candidate could not be hired until after their 21st birthday.
- Higher education degree in Criminal Justice
- Military veterans, current military, women and persons of color are strongly encouraged to apply
- Massachusetts Police Training Committee Full Time Academy Certification
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!