13-1741 Comunications Engineer (Public Safety)
Gila RIver Indian Community - Sacaton, Arizona
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $60,144.00 annual
DISTINGUISHING FEATURES OF THE CLASS: The Communications Engineer’s primary function is to coordinate radio communications systems and perform highly skilled work in installing, maintaining, testing and repairing a wide variety of electronic radio and digital communications and emergency warning equipment and associated systems for the Community’s Public Safety and other departments. Incumbent will also be responsible for the day-to-day coordination and maintenance of the Community’s radio system and serves as the point of contact to all radio users for technician support, equipment recommendations and radio system complaints. ESSENTIAL FUNCTIONS:
- Coordinates and maintains the overall operations of the Community’s radio system.
- Installs, maintains, and troubleshoots radio infrastructure equipment, to include but not limited to antennas, control stations, central electronics bank, databases, services and microwave equipment.
- Responsible for programming and repairing radios for Police and Fire Department.
- Responsible for managing the grant funding.
- Performs system testing and analysis to ensure non-degradation and optimum performance and operation of related components of the Community’s 800 MHz trunked radio system.
- Coordinates the upgrades of hardware/software for radio systems.
- Serves as contact for other agencies and vendors regarding the 800 MHz radio system.
- Reviews schematic diagrams and drawings; makes recommendations from blueprints, equipment specifications, schematic drawing, and technical instructions regarding electronic equipment and systems.
- Develops and implements new radio programming templates and maintains radio ID and talk group assignments for all users.
- Installs, modifies, maintains and repairs vehicular mounted communications equipment such as mobile radios, antennas, microphones, and control consoles.
- Maintains the master inventory/control database of all the radio equipment on the radio system including a full inventory listing of other cities using the GRIC radio systems.
- Provides input on the purchase of communication equipment; maintains contact with vendors to obtain information on product changes and new products.
- Maintains all portable two-way voice and data radios for all GRIC departments
- Provides technical support and training to all communication system users
- Advises departments on communications systems, needs and requirements
- Establishes and implements the preventive maintenance program; makes frequent checks of equipment, including checks on test instruments
- Keeps records and reports of electronic systems’ performance, work accomplished and other required information
- Ensures compliance with FCC licensing regulations
- May be required to respond to emergency equipment repairs on the communication system after hours and/or the weekends or as requested by management.
- Performs all work duties and activities in accordance with Community’s policies and procedures.
- Works in a safe manner and reports unsafe activity and conditions. Follows the Community’s safety policy and practices and adheres to responsibilities concerning safety prevention, reporting and monitoring as outlined in the Community’s Handbook.
REQUIRED KNOWLEDGE, SKILL AND ABILITY:
REQUIRED EXPERIENCE AND TRAINING: Bachelor’s degree in Electrical, Electronic or Communications Engineering from an accredited college or university, or closely related field and a minimum of three (3) years of professional experience in electrical, electronic, or communications engineering involving the design, installation, and maintenance of electronics communications systems and equipment; or ten (10) years progressively professional experience in electrical, electronic, or communications engineering which involved the installation and maintenance of electronics communications systems and equipment.
- Ability to evaluate system needs and requirements to recommend pricing and equipment.
- Coordinate the overall radio communications systems.
- Interpret and apply blueprints, drawings, complex schematics, and technical manuals.
- Knowledge of the tools and diagnostic equipment in the installation and maintenance of electronic communications equipment.
- Ability to identify and resolve installation problems of equipment and to install, maintains, modify, and repair such equipment.
- Respond to customer inquiries and complaints, and analyze problems for the quickest remedy.
- Plan for and coordinate the implementation and integration of new systems.
- Ability to engineer new systems for proper operation with existing equipment and systems.
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, orally and in writing.
- Ability to operate standard office equipment including specialized communications equipment required for job performance.
- Prepare accurate and grammatically correct written reports
- Respond to citizen requests in a courteous and effective manner
- Ability to perform with accuracy, speed and pressure on time-sensitive deadlines.
- Demonstrate integrity, ingenuity and inventiveness in the performance of assigned tasks.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with other employees, Community Officials and the general public.
- Ability to perform all physical requirements of the position; agree to maintain a Drug-free workplace.
- Age: : 18
- Education: : See Additional Info
- Experience: : See Additional Info
Salary: $60,144 Depending on Experience Job location: Police DepartmentCriminal Justice Facility 639 W. Seed Farm Road Sacaton, AZ BENEFITS INFORMATION:
Other Voluntary Benefits:
- Medical – EPO or PPO Self-Funded Plan utilizing Blue Cross Blue Shield of Arizona Network
- Prescription Program
- Dental – Plan is provided through CIGNA with no deductible for preventive services or $50 (individual)/$150 (family) deductible for basic and major services
- Vision – plan benefits are provided through SightCare of Arizona and carry a $10 co-pay for exams, zero co-pay
- Life and AD&D – Basic, dependent, and/or voluntary benefits provided through CIGNA Group Insurance. GRIC pays the full cost for your basic Life and AD&D
ADDITIONAL REQUIREMENT: Pass background check and fingerprint clearance as a condition of employment. Background checks are required for positions that involve regular contact with or control over Community Children in accordance with The Indian Child Protection and Family Violence Prevention Act, 25 U.S.C. Sections 3201 through 3210 and C.F.R. Part 63 and positions that have regular contact with the Elderly. Valid state driver’s license with a current proof of driving record for the past 39 months will be required to qualify for a tribal driving permit. Proof of driving record must be submitted with application. Non-Supervisory, Salaried Position Reports to Director or designee Preference in filling vacancies is given to qualified Indian candidates in accordance with the Indian Preference Act (Title 25, U.S. Code, Section 472 and 473). The Gila River Indian Community is also committed to achieving the full and equal opportunity without discrimination because of Race, Religion, Color, Sex, National Origin, Politics, Marital Status, Physical Handicap, Age or Sexual Orientation. In other than the above, the Gila River Indian Community is an Equal Opportunity Employer. If you are claiming Preference in one or more of the following categories please attach a copy of the required documentation to the completed Employment Application. Preference for Community Members (with proof of enrollment) Preference for Native Americans (must meet membership requirement of a federally recognized Tribe.) Preference point for Spouse of Community Member (with proof of spouse enrollment) Preference point for Veteran (must meet statutory requirements) DEADLINE: Employment Applications are available at all District Service Centers, the Human Resources Department, and online at www.gilariver.org. All Employment Applications and copies of required documents, i.e., Transcripts, Certificates, diploma and Motor Vehicle Record, must be received in the Human Resources Department by 5:00 pm on the closing date. Late Applications or documents will not be considered. HUMAN RESOURCES WILL NOT MAKE COPIES OF APPLICATIONS OR DOCUMENTS BEING SUBMITTED. To avoid delays, application can be mailed or faxed to: Gila River Indian Community Human Resources Department Post Office Box 97 Sacaton, Arizona 85147 Fax: (520) 562-9809 TO APPLY PLEASE VISIT OUR WEBSITE: www.gilariver.org
- Aflac offers various supplemental benefit plans
- Flexible Spending Account (FSA)
- Short Term Disability
- Long Term Disability
- Employee Assistance Program
- 12 Paid Holidays
- Vacation Leave
- Sick Leave
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!