Deputy Sheriff - Currently Certified
Howard County Sheriff's Office - Big Spring, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $19.94 hourly
MAJOR DUTIES, FUNCTIONS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Essential duties and functions, pursuant to the Americans with Disabilities Act, may include the following.
- Other related duties may be assigned.
- Patrols an assigned zone on foot, on bicycle, and by vehicle to detect and deter criminal activity and traffic violations.
- Enforces traffic and parking laws.
- Receives information on activity in an area and assists in plans to address problems.
- Responds to calls relayed by Communications Officers, including but not limited to domestic disputes, assaults, burglaries, traffic accidents, lost or missing persons searches, public service duties, stranded motorists, and others.
- Gathers information/probable cause to secure either arrest or search warrants as needed.
- Conducts preliminary investigations into traffic accidents and other incidents, including but not limited to interviewing victims, complainants and witnesses, gathering information and evidence, and securing crime scenes.
- Process crime scenes to recognize, collect and preserve evidence.
- Apprehends arrest, and process offenders, including fugitives; subpoenas witnesses and serves warrants.
- Provides assistance and backup support to other officers and emergency service providers as necessary.
- Assists motorists.
- May provide first-aid and CPR to victims as necessary.
- Provides traffic direction as needed for special events such as parades, funerals, athletic events, and school crossings.
- Preparing for and attending court proceedings as necessary.
- Completes all required reports and forms, including accident and incident reports.
- Inspects and maintains assigned patrol car, uniform, and equipment.
- May serve as Hazardous Materials Technician.
- Serves criminal and court-related paper work.
- Participating in mandatory and elective training.
- May serve as a member of the departments SORT team.
- May serve as a field-training officer for the department.
- May serve as relief supervisor in the absence of the Sergeant.
- May be on call after hours to respond to emergency situations.
- Performs other duties as assigned.
- Take home car, Certificate & Longevity pay, Medical and Dental Insurance paid by county (employee only), Life Insurance provided, and Accidental Death & Dismemberment Policy.
- Age: : 21
- Education: : High School Diploma or GED Certificate
- Experience: : None Required
Valid Texas Driver's License, ability to meet requirements set forth by TCLEOSE to be certified as a Peace Officer. No Illegal drugs. Demonstrate proficiency with firearm during scheduled testing.