Police Officer - Lateral Transfer
Bradley University Police Department - Peoria, Illinois
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $18.00 hourly
- $18.00 hourly
Bradley University will be accepting lateral transfer applications for the position of University Police Officer. Applications will be available as of Monday, October 28, 2013. Bradley University Police Officers develop partnerships within and outside the University community and maintain the security and safety of students, faculty, staff, and visitors and safeguard the property of the University and its community. Police Officers are generally assigned to patrol the campus and surrounding areas by car, bike or on foot, making routine checks of campus and residential areas, looking for hazardous, unusual or suspicious conditions requiring police action or assistance. They assist the injured, elderly and disabled; administer first aid; direct and control campus and surrounding area traffic; investigate suspicious persons and vehicles and secure accident, crime and disaster scenes. University Officers will interact on a regular basis with federal, state and municipal law enforcement agencies. Police duties involve protection of life and property through the enforcement of laws and ordinances and general police assignments including patrol, preliminary complaint and criminal investigation, traffic control and accident investigation. University Officers identify and apprehend offenders; conduct interviews and interrogations; locate witnesses; seize contraband; conduct warrant checks; perform surveillance; search persons and places; attend court and testify in the trial process and prepare written reports on assigned tasks. Duties may involve an element of personal danger and require University Police Officers to act without direct supervision and exercise independent judgment in emergency situations. Bradley’s Officers respond to calls and complaints involving fire, automobile accidents, domestic and neighborhood disturbances, assaults, robberies and any other felonies or misdemeanors. They conduct premise checks; secure and unlocking doors as necessary and police special events as assigned. Bradley University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer. The administration, faculty and staff are committed to attracting qualified candidates from underrepresented groups.
Bradley University will be accepting lateral transfer applications for the position of University Police Officer. Applications will be available as of Monday, October 28, 2013.
- Age: : None
- Education: : High School or equivalent
- Experience: : Prior police experience required
Requirements for Lateral Transfer
Salary and Benefit Information
- Certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board as a certified full time police officer (out-of-state police officers should contact human resources at (309) 677-3223 directly for determination of eligibility)
- And in good standing in the police department in which the person currently serves or separated from with no adverse employment action
- And be eligible to be granted a waiver of basic training from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board
- And must pass medical and background checks
- And ability to successfully complete a one year probationary period from date of hire and any applicable field training program.
Application Process Application materials are available in the Bradley University Human Resource Department, 239 Sisson Hall, 931 N Elmwood, Peoria, Illinois. Please contact the Human Resource Department at (309) 677-3223 if you require a packet to be mailed to you. All application materials must be returned to the Human Resource Department by Friday, November 8, 2013, no later than 4:00 p.m. The following documentation is required at the time application for employment is received in the Human Resource Department:
- Entry Level Salary: $18.00 per hour
- Competitive benefits include availability of tuition remission after 1 year of continuous service
- Full benefit offerings provided at www.bradley.edu/offices/business/humanresources/employee/police/
- Complete Application for Employment
- Applicant Tracking Record
- Personal References List
- Police Officer Candidate Essay
- Police Officer Honesty Statement Form
- Police Applicant Questionnaire
- Release for Physical Agility Testing (Applicants are strongly encouraged to get a medical examination before participating in any physical program or examination.)
- Physical Agility Testing Score Sheet
- Authorization for Release of Personal Information (Must be Notarized)
- Authorization to Take Specimen For Drug Screening
- Copy of Drivers License
- Copy of certified birth certificate
- Copy of high school diploma/GED certificate. Applicants with education beyond high school must submit a copy of degree and/or applicable college transcripts
- Review of Qualifications – Human Resources will evaluate applications upon receipt.
- Physical Agility Testing and Written Examinations – Depending on status of current certification from the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board and employment, applicants may be required to undergo physical agility test (Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board POWER Test) and/or complete the written examination process (as a large part of a police officer's job involves report writing, reading and interpreting policies and procedures, rules and regulations, state statutes, etc., these exams are designed to measure abilities in these areas).
- Background Investigation – All qualified candidates are subject to background investigations that include fingerprinting, police records check, credit check and inquiries of neighbors, relatives, employers, etc. A conviction record may be considered on a case-by-case basis and will not necessarily disqualify a candidate. Illinois State law precludes appointments as a police officer with any felony conviction or any disqualifying conviction as identified by the Illinois Law Enforcement Training and Standards Board.
- Personal Interview – A personal interview will be held with selected candidates.
- Medical Examination – Selected candidates must successfully complete post-offer medical examinations.