Police Officer Trainee
Lexington Fayette Urban County Police - Lexington, Kentucky
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $38,211.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $60,220.00 annual
GENERAL STATEMENT OF DUTIES:
ESSENTIAL ELEMENTS: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed nor do the listed examples include all tasks that may be performed.)
- Performs police work of considerable difficulty in protecting life and property, suppressing and detecting crime and serving the community.
- Work assignments are general, patrol, traffic or criminal investigations or other specialized functions on an assigned shift.
- Patrols a designated area of the Urban County Government.
- Responds to calls and complaints.
- Secures the scene of a crime or accident; administers first aid; lifts latent prints; gathers and identifies evidence; makes photographs and diagrams on the scene; obtains witnesses; and makes arrests.
- Conducts criminal investigations.
- Inspects doors and windows of businesses, vacant buildings, schools and unoccupied residences.
- Interviews persons with complaints and inquiries and attempts to make proper disposition or direct them to the proper authorities; gives advice on laws and ordinances and general information to the public; and gathers information on crimes and offenses through interviews and interrogations.
- Serves warrants, summonses, subpoenas and other legal notices; issues traffic citations; and prepares traffic accident and criminal offense reports.
- Works with social service agencies with the care and placement of abandoned, neglected, physically and sexually abused children.
- Testifies as a witness in court in connection with arrests and citations made.
- Transports prisoners to and from jail, court, doctor appointments and other destinations.
- Administer breathalyzer tests or conduct polygraph tests when assigned.
- Studies and analyzes crime patterns; and performs critical on-site security analyses of buildings and surroundings.
- Lectures and gives demonstrations to schools, civic groups, business groups and in public gathering events.
Testing will be conducted at the University of Kentucky at 160 Funkhouser Dr. RM 200. The location of the January 9, 2014 will be announced at a later date. Please visit our website at www.lexingtonky.gov/recruit for details. * Flexible Benefits Package: $530.74 (2009-2011). Includes choices of Health, Dental, Vision, * Life Insurance, Disability Insurance. * Retirement Plan: 25 years of Service (50% after 25 years, 2 1/2% increase for each additional year) * 401K and 457 Deferred Compensation Plans * Sick Leave: 120 hours yearly (can accumulate 600 hours - paid for time over 600 hours at current rate of pay.) * Vacation: *96 hours/year the first 10 years of service, then 168/year * Holiday Time: **72 hours per year * Overtime Pay: Paid at time and a half (1.5) current rate of pay 8 4/10 Plan: Work four 10 hour days with three consecutive days off * Non-residential police academy * Promotional Opportunities:Exams for the rank of Sergeant, & Lieutenant. Commander, Asst. Chief, and Deputy Chief are by appointment. * Fixed Shifts * Shift Differential Pay * Monthly subsidy for Personal Cell Phone * Take Home Vehicle * Opportunity for assignment to a specialized unit after three years * All Uniforms and Equipment provided while in the Academy * Fitness Facility available * Formal Mentor Program * Participate in the G.I. Bill Benefits Program * Foreign Language Program
- Age: : 21 to 37 years of age
- Education: : High School Diploma or GED
- Experience: : None required
- Must be minimum 21 years of age, and not older than 37, by the application deadline date.
- High School Education or GED.
- Valid drivers license with the ability to operate motor vehicles.
- Must be a US Citizen and have a Birth Certificate - Official copy from the State Bureau of Vital Statistics (Hospital/Health Department birth records CAN NOT be substituted for this State document).
- College Transcripts (if applicable).
- For veteran’s preference, applicants must verify service dates by submitting Form DD 214.
- Have not been convicted at any time of a felony.
- Have been a law-abiding citizen and maintain a law-abiding lifestyle.
- Have not been convicted of a serious misdemeanor within twelve months prior to the application date and during the hiring process.
- No illegal drug use or use of scheduled drugs (not prescribed to the applicant) within twelve months of the application date and during the hiring process.
- Have not been involved in the cultivation, manufacturing, distribution and/or trafficking of illegal drugs or substances.
- Have not been fired or forced to resign within the twelve months prior to the application date and during the hiring process.
- Have a driving history that reflects careful, prudent and law-abiding operation of a motor vehicle.
- Have not been prohibited by federal or state law from possessing a firearm.
- Have not had certification as a peace officer permanently revoked in another state.
- Have not worked as a security guard, etc. in a labor dispute situation within the past two years prior to the application date and during the hiring process.
- Not have any tattoos, brands or body piercing which are visible while wearing regulation uniforms and not have any other visible disfiguring body alterations.
- Have not received a dishonorable discharge, or general discharge under other than honorable conditions if having served in any branch of the armed forces of the United States.
- Physical strength and agility necessary to do police work, which includes the ability to work outdoors in all weather conditions and exposure to hazards.
- Subject to weekend, holiday, shift work, and call-back duty.
- Drug testing before employment and will require a post-offer pre-employment physical.
- Anyone with sexual abuse or other similar or related offenses or incidences with minors will not be considered for employment.
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!