Director of Police Operations
Drexel University - Philadelphia, Pennsylvania
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $80.00 monthly
- Directs the operations, staffing and accountability of a highly visible, community oriented police department including the direct supervision of police commanders and supervisors using the “best practices of modern policing” and CALEA standards.
- Directs and controls criminal and non-criminal investigative services.
- Develops and directs proactive programs to decrease crime, enhance the actual and perceived safety and security of the community and improve the quality of life of the community.
- Serves as liaison with City, State and Federal law enforcement and emergency response agencies; develops and nurtures professional working relationships and continually explores opportunities to partner with these agencies in the development of programs that will enhance the safety and quality of life of the community.
- Fosters commitment to diversity within the DUPD, in word and action, by creating and delivering programs and training opportunities for all members of the department and through continuous dialogue with the University and University City community.
- Works collaboratively with the University Department of Human Resources and Office of Equality & Diversity on police department labor/management issues.
- Works with the Manager of Accreditation to obtain and maintain accreditation status and ensures the highest level of professionalism and accountability for every member of the Drexel University Police Department.
- Develops, directs and tracks all relevant and required training for every member of the department to meet or exceed professional standards and maintain a high level of effectiveness, efficiency and response.
- Is responsible for quality assurance, maintaining a high level of professional and ethical conduct within the department, and for the development and continual monitoring of a transparent citizen’s complaint process.
- Continually reviews and revises departmental goals, policies, procedures and operations and initiates improvements to enhance the performance of the department.
- Is responsible for the submission of all required City, State and Federal reports.
- Works collaboratively with University and community stakeholders to identify new programs that will enhance the actual and perceived safety and security of the community and fosters an open relationship with West Philadelphia community groups by attending civic meetings and special events.
- Acts as spokesperson for the department as directed.
Position is contingent upon satisfactorily completion of a comprehensive background check, drug screening test and a psychological and physical examination. The background checks will include: education verification, past work history reference checks, and a criminal records check. Drexel University offers an attractive benefits package including tuition remission, a generous retirement package with matching funds (up to 11 percent) and an opportunity to join a talented team of professionals directly helping the University achieve its record growth and quality reputation. Background investigations are required for all new hires as a condition of employment, after the job offer is made. Employment will be contingent upon the University's acceptance of the results of the background investigation. Drexel University is an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action employer and is proactively committed to diversity and inclusion in all of its policies, practices and services. We are especially interested in qualified candidates who can contribute to the diversity and excellence of our academic community. To apply for this position, please apply online at: www.drexeljobs.com For more information about Drexel University, please visit www.drexel.edu.
- Age: N/A
- Education: Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice or other appropriate field
- Experience: Progressive experience and responsibility in a police department with at least 3 years at a command level
- Position requires a minimum of a Bachelors degree in Criminal Justice or other appropriate field; Masters Degree, graduation from the FBI National Academy, Southern Police Institute, or Northwestern University Center for Public Safety is highly desirable.
- Progressive experience and responsibility in a police department with at least 3 years at a command level; thorough knowledge of police organizations and leadership skills.
- Experience in leading organizational change and developing community policing initiatives.
- Excellent communications and writing skills.
- Computer skills include MS Outlook and MS Word.
- Applicants must have graduated from a PA. Act 120 Training Academy, possess a Municipal Police Officers Education and Training Certification and Pennsylvania State driver’s license.
- Position may require long and/or unusual hours; is responsive to the needs of the department 24 hours a day, seven days a week. A communication device will be provided to allow for around the clock communication.
- Confidentiality statement. All candidates must be willing to sign a confidentiality statement relating to the confidentiality of sensitive University information, student records, faculty records, staff records and all information deemed confidential by the Department of Public Safety and Drexel University.