Police Officer Trainee
Garland Police Department - Garland, Texas
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $49,350.00 annual
- Top Pay:
- $70,111.00 annual
- Pro-active enforcement of all applicable criminal and traffic laws, including the issuance of citations.
- Respond to calls for service from citizens.
- Maintain high-visibility patrols.
- Education of public and citizen contacts.
- Prepare and complete all necessary reports and supplements.
- Attend state mandated and supplemental training each year.
- Testify in court concerning collection of evidence.
- Preserve and enhance the quality of life for the citizens of Garland, Texas, by following the City's guiding principles.
- Perform related duties as assigned.
PHYSICAL AGILITY TEST: This test requires applicants to demonstrate a level of flexibility; a level of muscular strength, as demonstrated by doing push-ups and sit-ups; and a level of cardiovascular conditioning, as demonstrated by running several laps on a jogging track. BACKGROUND INVESTIGATION: A comprehensive background investigation, including driving record, will be conducted on all applicants. Applicants must qualify according to the following TCOLE licensing standards: (Section 217.1 (a): Minimum Standards for Initial Licensure)
Note: Minor traffic offenses may not necessarily disqualify an applicant. Information will be verified by Polygraph Examination. ORAL INTERVIEW: This interview involves a variety of questions related to determining potential performance as a Police Officer Recruit. MEDICAL EXAMINATION: Applicants who are given conditional offers of employment must pass a comprehensive medical and psychological examination, a drug screen, and have no more than 20/100 uncorrected vision, corrected to 20/20.
- No court-ordered community supervision or probation for any criminal offense above the grade of Class B misdemeanor or a Class B misdemeanor within the last 10 years from the date of court order.
- No conviction of an offense above the grade of a Class B misdemeanor
- No conviction of a Class B misdemeanor within the last 10 years.
- Age: : 18-44
- Education: : High school diploma
- Experience: : None required
Education, prior police, or military experience requirements must be met prior to academy start date.
- Must be United States of America citizen at the time of application
- At least age 18 and not over the age of 44 at the time of exam, and not over the age of 44 at the time of hire
- Must have either a High School Diploma or GED
- Must meet at least one of the following minimum requirements:
- 60 hours of college credit or an associate’s degree from an accredited college or university with a minimum of a 2.0 GPA, or
- 2 years active United States of America military service with an Honorable discharge, or
- 2 years experience as full-time paid peace officer