Police Officer I
Arlington County Police Department - Arlington, Virginia
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $48,000.00 annual
Just across the Potomac River from our nation’s capital, Arlington is diverse in its opportunities and its population. Arlington continues to maintain pleasant residential and commercial neighborhoods and a high quality of living for all that work and live here. Entry Officer This is an entry level patrol officer position with emphasis on community policing and problem-solving. Recruit officers:
Minimum Qualifications Kind of Work: This is law enforcement work in which the employee is responsible for protection of life and property in Arlington County. Duties include:
- Must successfully complete the police academy and the field training program.
- Will be assigned to a fixed shift with rotating days off upon successful completion of field training.
- Must pass the one-year from date of hire probationary period.
Work is performed in accordance with departmental rules and regulations and involves an element of personal danger. Employees must be able to exercise considerable independent judgement at all times. For more in depth information please visit: sites.arlingtonva.us/policejobs/
- patrolling an assigned area on foot, bicycle, motorcycle or in a car to detect or prevent crime
- conducting investigations into a variety of criminal offenses such as larceny, auto theft, and robbery
- assisting in investigation of major crimes such as rape and homicide
- directing vehicular and pedestrian traffic
- preparing written reports on offenses committed, arrests, and other activities
- testifying in court proceedings
- other related duties as required
The Arlington County Police Department will be administering the Written Police Officer Exam on:
Further information regarding testing locations and the process itself can be found at: sites.arlingtonva.us/policejobs/ Equal Employment Opportunity The Arlington County Police Department makes every effort to recruit qualified individuals from all backgrounds to serve our unique community. We are proud of the diversity across all positions and ranks within ACPD.
- December 18, 2013 at 3:30 p.m.
- January 8, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
- February 8, 2014 at 6:30 a.m.
- March 12, 2014 at 3:00 p.m.
- Age: : 21
- Education: : 60 credit hours minimum
- Experience: : none required
Military and or prior law enforcement experience may be substituted for educational requirements on a case by case basis. Applicants must bring a completed background packet in order to be admitted to the test. The packet is available online. DO NOT WAIT to fill out this packet. It is a 20+ page comprehensive packet that will take significant time to complete and to obtain the required documents. Packets will be reviewed at the test site and you will be turned away if your packet is not complete. This announcement is open as a continuous recruitment. It will be closed without notice when a sufficient number of applications are received. It is advised that you submit your application as soon as possible. Wages and Benefits
- Starting annual salary of $48,000.
- Upgraded to Police Officer II upon successful completion of field training — with a salary increase of 5%.
- Paid overtime at a rate of time and one-half
- Bilingual pay
- Value added pay for department recognized certifications
- Two health plans to choose from at low rates
- Yearly salary increase based upon performance
- Eligible for a promotion to supervisory level after a minimum of four years
- Fixed shift with rotating days off scheduled for uniformed patrol
- Uniforms and equipment are furnished by the department
- Take home cars for patrol officers that live in Arlington County (availability dependent)
- Tuition reimbursement
- Education leave
- Free SmarTrip fare cards for Metro trains and buses
- 25 year retirement — no age limit
- County pays a stipend to use at your discretion towards health benefits for retirees with 25 years of service
- Deferred Retirement Option Plan (DROP)
- Credit Union Membership
Sergeant John Feden