Unalaska Department of Public Safety - Unalaska, Alaska
- Application Deadline:
- Entry Level Salary:
- $28.89 hourly
- $30.65 hourly
- Top Pay:
- $37.70 hourly
GENERAL DESCRIPTION: This position, under moderate supervision from the Police Sergeant, performs a full range of duties associated with traffic and criminal law enforcement. EXAMPLES OF WORK:
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS AND ABILITIES:
- Responds to emergency calls for Police, Fire and EMS services.
- Responds to calls for service and assistance.
- Enforces local, state, and federal law.
- Effects lawful arrests of suspected criminals by taking them into physical custody, conducts investigations of alleged or suspected criminal activity in response to complaints received or information developed in the course of assigned activities.
- Completes written reports, conducts interviews and testifies at court proceedings.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE:
- Knowledge of, or ability to learn, State and City laws and their enforcement; investigation and law enforcement methods; procedures and policies; and the laws governing and prescribing the powers and authorities of a law enforcement officer; learn criminal justice procedures; and ability to operate equipment used in law enforcement.
- Must have the ability to maintain confidentiality and security.
- Problem solving ability, use of common sense, and the ability to quickly analyze situations and respond accordingly are necessary.
- Must have the ability to establish and maintain productive working relationships with various people and organizations.
- Must have excellent written and oral communication skills and the ability to follow complex written and oral instructions.
- Must have the ability to work under pressure, to maintain professionalism under pressure, to manage simultaneous tasks and projects, and to meet multiple deadlines.
- High school diploma or GED required.
- Working knowledge of computers in a windows environment is required.
- Experience working with the public helpful.
- Previous police experience preferred.
- Basic certificate in law enforcement from APSC preferred.
- A college degree is preferred.
- Combination of education and experience that could provide the knowledge, skills and abilities listed will be evaluated on an individual basis.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Must meet APSC standards and obtain Basic certificate within 12 months of hire.
- Valid Alaska driver’s license, or the ability to obtain one within 30 days of hire and prior to operating a City vehicle.
- Employees are required to work rotating shifts to provide 24-hour coverage.
- Must maintain CPR and First Aid certification.
- Employees are required to carry and be proficient with a firearm.
- As a condition of employment, the person selected will be required to successfully complete a drug test prior to beginning work.
- Subject to criminal history background check showing acceptable results prior to offer of employment.
- Position is subject to physical, psychological and polygraph testing, post offer.
- Age: : 21
- Education: : High School Diploma
- Experience: : None
Request more information
Thank you for your interest in this vacancy!